Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

My friend have diagnosis ADHD. when people diagnosis ADHD,

My friend have diagnosis ADHD. he from young keep losing his thing like wallet and bag, key, etc... this year he is 34 age.  Psychiatric diagnos him got ADHD past 6 yrs . last two yrs he have been diagnosis by DR in IMH NO ADHD. and stop giving him medication. He is using Drug Treatment last time. now without medication he become more negative and have suicide thinking also for past three month. cos only Dr can give him the medication , now diagnosis him without ADHD and stop the medication . what can i do? only medication can control his mind set. everyday now he look moody, worry , negative thinking etc..... He also strongly believe what he won't listen what are we trying to tell him., really need help .

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for joining the chat

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I was saying it's very frustrating and concerning to be in your friends shoes since his situation shows he's not been receiving the professional health support he needs.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The symptoms you have described he has been experiencing are not typical of ADHD. It does not mean he may not have ADHD, but it clearly shows he has other mental health problems deeply affecting his mood, thinking, functioning and relationships.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you please clarify or confirm if ADHD medication he was using created all these other serious symptoms, from suicidal ideation to isolation, not believing what other people say but what his own mind creates regardless of evidence from reality?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

If what you mean is that your friend believes in things taht do not match reality, that are not real but is convinced he's right, while isolating, having suicidal ideation and all those other symptoms you mentioned, then I'd say that he could be having a psychotic episode, which is much more serious than ADHD alone, and whenever a person experiences suicidal ideation and shows lack of insight about reality, it is essential for those close to him to look for necessary and effective professional support as soon as possible.

Customer:

Now how can i help him? if i never remember wrong is the drugs medication he use before is methylphenidate, and ritalin

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Since you do not want to afford him hurting himself because of the severity of these symptoms. When a person is suicidal and not in touch with reality, in most countries they could be taken to receive psychiatric treatment without their consent. Unhappily many times these very powerful drugs, like the ones you mentioned could create mental symptoms and disorders, includign mood problems, violent behaviors and many psychotic symptoms.

Customer:

i call him go to see Dr , he don't want cos he already lost trust from Dr , cos the Dr know is not reach his level what he know.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

he needs a competent, ethical and experienced psychiatrist to support him with the right medications, if he did not have any of these psychotic symptoms-behaviors before using those drugs, then the medication could have caused them, and should not be used at all. On the other hand he requires psychological treatment -psychotherapy to work on rehabilitating from any ADHD problem, these psychotic episode and the impact any drug could have had on him, as well as any other issue affecting his mental health.

Customer:

i really not sure what can i do to him now. stuburn and dont believe the reality. he also have diferent thinking of the normal people .

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Since he is having suicidal ideation he could and seems this disturbed, he could continue to refuse necessary support, then his family or any close friend like you could request psychiatric professionals to initiate an intervention to keep him safe , and to provide necessary treatment.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

That's why expecting him to do the right and necessary thing right now that he's experiencing these psychotic symptoms would be unrealistic, that's why somebody needs to ask for an intervention for him to receive the help he needs and refuses to get because of the seriousness of his mental condition.

Customer:

now is the problem he dont allow us to bring him there.........

Customer:

no other alternative way to help him?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I understand and believe that, and that's why I said you need to report this situation for him to be taken to a local hospital or clinic where he could get necessary support.

Customer:

ok i try my best to councel him go to hosiptal as soon as possible

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The problem with a psychotic episode is that time could make it worse and not better, what could lead to development of mental illness like schizophrenia thus the more necessary psychiatric and psychological support is delayed, the more serious the chances for him to get worse,

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Yes, please use all your persuasion, assertiveness, affection and understanding to convince him to voluntarily go to the hospital to get necessary help. If after trying that you see he still refuses to accept help and continues to present suicidal and psychotic symptoms, then please report his situation to local authorities in order for mental health professionals to be able to start an intervention and provide necessary treatment.

Customer:

but i can't do anything . i only can nicely talk to him and persue him to see Dr asap. is not we dont want , is he himself dont trust the Dr anymore. cos the DR knowledge is below his expectation. sorry to say that .no offence

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

It is his family who need to take these initiatives as soon as possible, they are the first in his support system who need to play an active role helping him get the necessary support. If they are not available or willing to do that, then people like you, who truly care could do this as much as possible, hoping professionals would; do their job.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

obviously he needs a more competent, ethical and experienced doctor, but right now he cannot afford waiting since he is suicidal and needs treatment right way.

Customer:

family member know, about it . and also call him to see DR , but also fail . i have discuss with them also . we are working together . hope soon he will listen to me , and see Dr asap.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I hope so, in case he doesn't cooperate, please call and report he's suicidal for authorities to get him the urgent and intensive support he needs, once he's already a danger to himself.

Customer:

ok thanks i will speak to him again .

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome. Thank you for your trust. Please feel free to contact me for any further support.

Customer:

by the way financial for him also a problem . cos he stop work from past 8 month. so see private DR is very EXP.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

That's very unfortunate, no doubt there seem to be multiple stressors leading to present situation, and that's why all support he could get from family and close friends is so important, plus the one he could afford, and what happens to be available from the public health system.

Customer:

see what can i do . thanks for you information. if any douth i will seek advices from you again.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Sure, please do so, I will be here to support you. Take good care.

Customer:

public health system mean illness menthal hosiptal ? he when there before the Dr did give him the medication . after he have some arguement with the DR then, the Dr stop issue him the medication .

Customer:

and diagnosis him No ADHD

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I hope he could consent to get treatment right away, and that those who support him happen to be truly competent and caring. I understand how frustrating it could be for you, but only you know how tough it feels, I hope this situation gets better soon, keep working with his family to get the best possible support, and remember to get psychological treatment - psychotherapy not only now, but consistently for him to rehabilitate from these disorders.

Customer:

ok thanks. Rafael

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're welcome. take care and bye for now.