Jean
Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)

maybe a month ago i got blood work done, and i agreed to get

Customer Question

maybe a month ago i got blood work done, and i agreed to get it done partly too humor my mom and because i had read somewhere that depression like symtoms can be caused by a real physical reason, so i had convinced my self i was just anemic or had a thyroid thing and thought that would answer it. but it came back all normal, i have celiacs and told the doctor i wanted a blood test because i felt tried alot so they tested i guess for stuff that has to do with that. He actually started to ask me question to see if i was depressed but i didnt know that thats why he was asking me the stuff he was asking, and then he was like do you know what depression is? and i was like yeah, and i didnt really answer the questions he asked cause i just really didnt want to her about it cause i just went their so i could get a blood test and it i wasnt exspecting that, but since it came back normal i guess im crazy or idk just kind of a bad person and im tierd of trying to decide which, but either way its not good.im getting ready to move out and really need to be more functional and make some money this summer and get myself together but my sleep is all f**ked up and i dont know why i cant just get over this, and i cant tell anyone even though people notice i seem depressed and i dont know how to go about it or if i should sry this is long and a run on sentence.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Jean replied 1 year ago.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Hello, thank you for your post tonight. If you are experiencing symptoms of depression the one thing for sure is- you are not "crazy". Symptoms of depression may be confusing because they come on when there is seemingly little "wrong", nothing in particular that one is sad or hopeless about. It comes to you uninvited and those symptoms can be confusing.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You did not ask for this nor cause this. Certainly symptoms of depression can be more situational- more tied into a specific stressor in one's life, such as a conflict in a relationship, loss of a loved one, school, $ issues etc.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

It can be more difficult when there is nothing specific tied into the symptoms- that's where the "crazy making" feeling comes in.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You are absolutely not a bad person. I'm glad to hear that doctors are taking notice of those types of symptoms and asking patients about them. One is often silent about the symptoms of depression because they think they "should" just be able to snap out of it! That is not the case for many who suffer with depression.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

What are some of the other symptoms besides trouble sleeping? Are you lacking interest and motivation in things you typically enjoy, loss of energy, sense of hopelessness, have things become more of a headache. With depression it can be difficult to allow things to roll off of your back. Even the mole hills feel like mountains to take on. Trouble sleeping, feeling sad, crying more- or easily moved to tears, irritability?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

If indeed you are dealing with depression. It is very treatable. Typically the combination of therapy and sometimes if it interferes in one's life, the use of medications is what is recommended. More natural interventions can be taking a look at self care such as exercise, diet, sleep etc. Some research shows that regular aerobic exercise can do as much as an antidepressant medication.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Therapy can be helpful in that it can assist the person in thinking more realistically. With depression our thinking tends to be more negative and extreme. Through cognitive therapy, the therapist can work with the client to correct or untwist their thinking.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

With cognitive therapy we take a look at perceptions when an event happens, and how those perceptions affect one's emotions, and their mood. An example of this might be a person being highly critical of them self. Small mistakes turn into the person believing they are bad, defective, etc. Calling our self crazy, stupid, a loser, etc. does zero for our self worth and our mood.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

It sounds like you are surprised by what the doctor was asking you- did not expect you would be questioned about depression when you went to the doctor. It is good to have a physical, as you have done, to rule out a physical explanation for your symptoms. Is there a family history of depression? It does tend to run in families.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Symptoms are not always something you can just "get over", or shake off. Your symptoms do not define you as crazy, or defective in some way. There is hope, and you can begin to feel better- but it may take some extra support. A book I would recommend for you is called Oh Shift, by Jennifer Powers and Mark Tucker. There's also Oh Shift for Teens. Young people are faced with more pressures than previous generations.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

A part from the book states: "Oh shift!, It's really quite simple. Change the word that brings you down to a word that lifts you up. The difference is one little letter. And it's a good one...f. Go ahead. Slip it in there right between the "i" and the "t" and then say it out loud." Putting an f in the word shit- changes it to shift. It's a bit corny, but people have found the book helpful in taking a closer look at their thoughts, the stinkin thinkin that gets in our way.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You have plans for your future and these symptoms can get in the way. You are getting ready to move out- both exciting, and scarey. You need to be "functional" in order to make money right! If you struggle dealing with these symptoms on your own, a few sessions with a therapist who does cognitive therapy may really help.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

"tell yourself you suck at math and you will, tell yourself you'll never get a date, done!, tell yourself you're fat, you got it!" The whole idea is that much of our misery is perpetuated by the thoughts we feed our self every day. It's a human condition- we tend to think the worst to prepare for, who knows what, and then hang on and hope for the best.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Let me know your thoughts on what I posted. Please ask any additional questions you may have.

Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience: Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
Expert:  Jean replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey thanks for the response and book recommendation. You asked what other symptoms some of which you had listed are interest/motivation, loss of energy, anxious, everything feels kind of hard, randomly crying but its weird because I don’t feel like I’m sad though. And if I’m not sad I can’t be depressed that doesn’t make sense. And I have no reason to be depressed because my life is great, so it’s all really ridiculous. You also asked if I have a family history of depression” and I’m not really sure. My dad has said apparently, that he is bipolar but he didn’t seem bipolar he kind of seemed depressed, like he just slept on the couch. And I’m certain he never took anything for bipolar the only thing he ever took is valium so I don’t know. You said theirs stuff you can do like exercise and diet but I eat really healthy already and I really should exercise but I use to be really active and this kind of started when I was still doing a lot of activities so exercise wouldn’t change much besides a slight energy boost. And you also mentioned therapy but that’s not something that would probably be mostly a waste for me because nobody can change the way I think but maybe it could be good information wise.

Expert:  Jean replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for responding to by post. That's the funny thing about depression is having all of those symptoms, fighting to get rid of those symptoms, when there's zero to be sad about- yet sill having those symptoms. It's a disconnect between what the way things really are and how you are feeling about life overall. We can evaluate our life and know we have it pretty good, can not identify an ordeal causing us to feel depression, but feeling that way anyway. It is ridiculous isn't it- like you said your life is great. Genetically you could be predisposed to some of this. I wonder if your father took valium for anxiety, or some sort of agitation-taking it to calm down.

Something to consider to get a better idea of your thought patterns would be to keep a journal. As thoughts come up jot them down and you may start to see what sort of messages you are feeding yourself. You said "nobody can change the way I think", you are right- that has to come from within. It takes practice to modify those thoughts. Thoughts are like habits, become so automatic we are hardly aware of them, something we have to work hard to change.If we practice more realistic and optimistic thinking it can become more habit.

I've encouraged people to wear a bracelet of some kind- a rubber sort of bracelet, whatever, nothing fancy. The bracelet would be a reminder to be more aware and mindful of what you are thinking. Start with that awareness first- take an inventory of what you "feed" yourself on any given day. Once you notice that pattern of thinking, the next step would be to modify. I will also encourage people to begin talking to them self the way they would talk to a treasured friend. If a friend came to you with what you describe, what would you tell her?

Journal writing may help you to start to understand if there are triggers to your mood too. You are at that age where you are transitioning into adulthood. It's wonderful, liberating, and all that, but it can be a bit scary and overwhelming too. Making time for friends, being with other people can sometimes pull us out of our self. With depression and anxiety, we tend to get stuck in our head. Finding things to get your mind off of the more negative, a diversion of sorts. Mood stuff can have a life of it's own- comes uninvited.

I think you have taken a good step in reaching out at lease for a little bit more information. If you are interested in learning a bit more about depression and the symptoms, a good website is psychcentral.com. It provides information about all sorts of diagnosis and best treatment for those.

Thank you again for your post. I hope it helps a bit, or at least gets you to "think" about the stuff- be more aware of thought patterns. Let me know if I can help again. I wish the best to you in this place called "life school".

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here