Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Hi Kate, I admire how you help people. I have mild panic attacks

Hi Kate, I admire how you help people. I have mild panic attacks in quiet and silent social situations. It mainly attacks my stomach, which starts making noises and producing gas. I am working on relaxation and breathing, but would you have any quick fix for stopping my stomach make such funny noises?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your kind words and for requesting my help.

What you are experiencing is common with people who suffer from anxiety. One of the distressing parts of anxiety is that you can become very self aware. That means every noise that your body makes seems amplified and attention getting. And the last thing you want when you have anxiety/panic is to be the center of attention.

There is also a sense of being out of control when your stomach makes these noises. You may feel you cannot stop them or that they seem to come only at times when you are in a quiet situation. It is most likely that your stomach is reacting to the stress of the situation and the anxiety you experience over being in a quiet social situation.

To address this issue, it helps to take something along that you can eat. Nothing big, just a small snack that can take the edge off your stomach rumbling. Things such as snack bars, fruit snacks, water/other drinks and/or a piece of fruit. You want to stay away from any gas producing food such as soda or chewing gum. Also, check your diet for anything you feel might be causing gas. Eating foods that are more soothing to your stomach before hand can also help. Potatoes, pasta and protein all help.

There is also a relationship between how anxious you feel in these situations and the stomach noises. When people become anxious, the digestive track can react by speeding up. Just as when you are anxious in general about something like a test or facing surgery, your digestion will react to the stress you feel. You may get stomach pains, lose your appetite and/or have loose stools. If you learn to relax, it can slow your digestion down and make it easier to control. It sounds like you are already addressing relaxation which is great. Here is a link that might help as well:

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/pmr.htm

Anxiety is also highly curable with therapy and self help. Therapy is more of a long term solution, but even just by taking more control over your anxiety and going to therapy, you can affect the symptoms you have now.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
It may also help you to have support. Here is a resource to help:

http://psychcentral.com/resources/Anxiety_and_Panic/Support_Groups/

Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kate,

thank you kindly for your helpful reply.

Yes, I am aware of the direct connection between the situations that cause me anxiety and my digestion getting faster - the noises and the loose stools sensation related.

Therefore my actual question probably was: is there any trick or quick fix to lower anxiety as you feel it is raising?

Thanks a lot again for your support and kind regards,

Flavia

You're welcome.

You can try medication such as Ativan. Ativan is a drug that can be taken PRN (as needed) and usually works quickly to calm you down.

You can also try practicing the relaxation techniques until you are able to use them without thinking about it.

There are no quick fixes to anxiety, but rather it is a matter of changing how you think about your anxiety and working consistently on letting the anxiety pass without resisting it. It can be cured with consistent treatment and therapy.

Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist