Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field
59700337

Restarting Prozac while waiting

A psychiatrist (not my prescribing one) stepped me off Prozac several months ago on my first visit, with my full withdrawl ending in February. I'm in the military and got moved across the country in March. When I came off he told me to keep a month or so supply just in case things got bad again and to start back if they did scheduling an appointment to get in. Things have got very bad (I have a consult pending to see a psychiatrist) but haven't even been able to ask an MD this question, my corpsman (think nurse) wasnt sure either so I am here for help. I was well managed over 18 months on Prozac with the last 12 (excluding February) @ 30mg per day dosage, my last step in getting off Prozac was 10mg daily for one week. Is it safe for me to get back on prior to my visit and if so what dosage should I be taking? I have 165 10mg pills. My diagnosis was eposodic, recurring depression.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 1 year ago.
Hello there, yes it is safe to start taking 10mg of prozac for the first week and 20 mg in the second week and if you tolerate that you can go to 30 the forth week. You have to start slowly now so you will not have side affects to see how your body responds to it. IF you are feeling really sad I would say to call your doctor and tell him what you told us here and say that you do have a prescription and yu will start taking 10mg because you feel down just like the way your felt before you took your medication. Sometimes you can go to the emergency room and ask them to give you prozac. They can take some tests and tell you to go back on antidepressents. I have heard that omega 3 helps the mood if you want to wait until you see the psychiatrist
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience: I have 20 years experience in the mental health field