Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Is there a medication for this disease? My boyfriend goes through

Is there a medication for this FUGUE STATE? My boyfriend goes through it every 6 months for a month plus at a time - He goes on long journeys by foot or bicycle. 60 miles plus! He gets very quiet and acts very strange. Stands in dark rooms hours at a time. He moves all the furniture in odd places and also does crazy things like putting a fan on top of a lamp - Stands in front of the open freezer for much longer than he should. He starts cleaning everything which is not something he normally does. When he is out of this state he a high functioning human being. He thinks it can be fixed with diet and exercise - I'm hoping there is a medication for it - Can you help me?

Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and I believe I can help you with your problem.

First of all i am sorry to learn about your boyfriend's situation and i empathize with you and him.

You see although his odd, bizarre behavior could very well be explained as Dissociative Fugue ( clinical terminology for fugue which is a type of dissociative disorder ), but there also appear some elements of psychotic features in his behavior such as putting fan on top of lamp which very well can be a mannerism ( an action which holds some personal significance to the doer although the same very act may appear frivolous / useless to the onlooker).His wandering episodes too can be explained by a psychotic overlay. So at present there looms a clinical dilemma to give a conclusive diagnosis for his condition and this therefore warrants further clinical probing.

So before suggesting you the medication for his behavior it will be best for him to get him evaluated by a psychiatrist so as to reach a conclusive diagnosis for his state of mind which commands his bizarre actions and behavior and then powered with the knowledge of his underlying formal diagnosis his treatment can be more symptoms specific which will only reflect good on his chances of recovery.

Another important point in favor of his evaluation to know his diagnosis is that different diagnoses hold different outcome/ prognosis and so one can be realistic and prepared in advance about the chances of one's recovery from a particular mental illness since there are some mental conditions which are long standing and there are still some which never get treated.

As far as medication which will be most appropriate for his condition is concerned, anti psychotic drug like zyprexa ( olanzapine) at dose of 10-20 mg / day or Risperdal ( risperidone ) at dose of 2-4 mg / day or Seroquel ( quetiapine ) at dose of 50-200 mg / day seem to be the best option to control his symptoms,so any one of these drugs shall be chosen and started.

Kindly discuss this with his doctor and preferably seek referral for a psychiatrist who will be the best person to handle his case with thorough evaluation followed by right treatment approach.You shall discuss these drug choices with him.

I hope this helps.

Wish your boyfriend all the best and speedy and full recovery.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.

If there is any further assistance needed please feel free to ask using the reply button.

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you think exercise and diet can control this? He told me he went through a 3 year period in his life where he had no episodes. He said he was working out, taking vitamins and watching what he ate.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Not very clear what needs to be done.

Seeming to recommend I see a doctor - I wouldn't come here if I wanted to go see another doctor
Hello- thank you for reaching out to just answer for information.

My name is Patience P. and I have been trained in alternative medicine and holistic health as well as mental health.

I have responded to your question below, and I hope it helps set your boyfriend on a path of healing. Please be sure to rate my response using the star system so that I can be credited for my time. After that, I will I will be happy to help if you need any additional information.

A person’s food and exercise can affect mood, behavior, and brain functioning. Vitamins and minerals are involved in one or more biochemical pathways which influence the function of the human brain. Therefore, vitamin and mineral deficiencies result in mental disorder symptoms in a significant number of people. The most common nutritional deficiencies seen in mental disorders are of omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, minerals, and the amino acids that are precursors to neurotransmitters.

Additionally, there is widespread evidence for the psychological benefits of exercise and mental health. Studies have shown positive effects in people with alcohol problems, schizophrenia, and those with clinical depression.

I would suggest that your boyfriend contact a naturopath or other alternative medicine practitioner to help him coordinate his use of nutrition and exercise. You can try the practitioners below:

In the meantime, I am including articles and books that you and your boyfriend can reasd to start to get a handle on using alternative thrapies for mental health issues.

 “Nutrition and the Brain”

 “The Role of Minerals and Vitamins in Mental Health”

 “Exercise Therapy and Mental Health. . .”

 Mental Health Regained - by Dr. Abram Hoffer
-18 orthomolecular recovery stories - bipolars and schizophrenics, compiled

 Healing Depression & Bipolar Disorder Without Drugs - by Gracelyn Guyol
- inspiring storiesof Restoring Mental Health Through Natural Therapies

 What Your Doctors May NOT Tell You About Depression: The Breakthrough Integrative Approach for Effective Treatment - by Michael Schachter, MD

 Living Well with Depression and Bipolar Disorder: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell you That You Need to Know - by John McManamy

Good customer service is one of my highest priorities! Please use the REPLY tab with any issues that come up regarding the service you have received. Come back soon and remember to ask for Patience P!