Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

treatment for tardive dyskinesia

treatment for tardive dyskinesia

Dr Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Dr Vikas :

Kindly mention the dose of Abilify you are currently taking and since when?

Dr Vikas :

Are you also taking any other medicine along with Abilify?

Dr Vikas :

now I will wait for your reply so that we can discuss further.

Customer:

Has been on abilify 5 mg for 5 years. Previously on Stellazine and had a bad episode of Tardive Dyskinesia which cleared up when changed to abilify. Has been symptom free since until last sunday when I noticed facial grimace. no other meds except metformin 1000 once a day for 5 years.

Customer:

awaiting your reply. thank you

Dr Vikas :

Thanks for your reply.

Dr Vikas :

For treating Tardive Dyskinesia, it has now become common practice to withdraw the antipsychotic medicine and to substitute it with another antipsychotic.

Dr Vikas :

the first step is to usually reduce the dose and see if it helps. If it does not helps, the antipsychotic which the patient is taking currently is replaced by another antipsychotic. You are already on a very low dose of Abilify so instead of reducing it further, a much better idea would be to replace it by another antipsychotic.

Dr Vikas :

The two possible options are Quetiapine (Seroquel) and Clozapine. These two medicines are considered to be useful in case of Tardive Dyskinesia and you can discuss with your doctor about both of them. Clozapine requires special monitoring so Seroquel can be the first option to try.

Dr Vikas :

Some additional agents are also used in management of TD like Benzodiazepines (Clonazepam, Lorazepam) and Vitamin E. Your doctor can also consider the option of adding these additional agents for managing TD.

Dr Vikas :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

Dr Vikas :

Kind regards

Dr Vikas :

Vikas

I hope, you are now able to see my reply. Please feel free to discuss further if you have any doubt or query in your mind.

Kind regards

Vikas

Thanks for your reply.

For treating Tardive Dyskinesia, it has now become common practice to withdraw the antipsychotic medicine and to substitute it with another antipsychotic. The first step is to usually reduce the dose and see if it helps. If it does not helps, the antipsychotic which the patient is taking currently is replaced by another antipsychotic. You are already on a very low dose of Abilify so instead of reducing it further, a much better idea would be to replace it by another antipsychotic.

Kind regards

Vikas