Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Dear Dr. Keane, I have been thinking and started writing the

Dear Dr. Keane, I have been thinking and started writing the list you had asked me to do for an exercise. Hope we can talk soon and I hope you enjoyed your holiday.

Dr.Keane :

Hi, great, I'll try to check in Wednesday afternoon (my time). Looking forward to chatting.

Customer:

Hi, sorry I missed you, just got near my computer, and now must sleep as very tired. I have a full schedule on Wednesday but I will be completely free by 8pm my time, so still your afternoon. I hope that is okay for you. Talk to you soon.

Customer:

Hi, hope we manage to connect and chat today. I can be online rest of today now. Busy schedule is all done for the day.

Dr.Keane :

Hi

Customer:

hi.

Customer:

I am here

Dr.Keane :

good, how's the list coming?

Customer:

it's coming along.

Customer:

So far got some positives and some negatives, but more on the positive side actually.

Dr.Keane :

sharing any of it yet???

Dr.Keane :

glad it's more on the positive side!!

Customer:

yes can do, sorry, silly what I wrote, of course I am going to share......The positives are that it would be a new challenge, a new environment.

Dr.Keane :

not silly at all.....

Customer:

even if the position is something that was close to what I am doing just now (not in terms of time)

Dr.Keane :

that's good, even if the move is lateral it will expose you to more people, more opportunities..good

Customer:

so a new position will mean meeting new people, making new friends (not that I've had much of that in my jobs, but you never know)

Customer:

more money if there is more time which will make it a bit easier to do much more things on my "to do list".

Dr.Keane :

that's the idea, expand your opportunites, your experiences and of course more money always helps....

Customer:

the negatives are if it doesn't work out, it isn't easy to get out of a bad situation and just change jobs.

Customer:

I think that's as far as I've got so far. Did had it typed much better than this but then accidentally deleted it.

Customer:

I hope that reads ok. Got a cold, which I must get rid of very soon.

Dr.Keane :

Yes, it could take some time to get out of a situation that isn't working but (eternal optimist here) if you stay focused on the positives or, if a situation isn't ideal and you don't automatically say it isn't working, then its not as negative as you think. Always a chance to change things around

Dr.Keane :

A cold, too bad, fresh air, vitamins, sleep....:)

Customer:

you and my mum should get together, she's an eternal optimist too :)

Customer:

ok that's interesting - the part about if a situation isn't ideal.

Dr.Keane :

I try, it's easier than focusing on what can go wrong, that is too stressful and I believe if you think positive, positive happens. Maybe not on the first attempt but it all works out the way it's suppose to.

Customer:

I try to do that. Just not always successfully as I find sometimes it can lead to doubt.

Dr.Keane :

There are times situations aren't ideal, in fact they may be way less than ideal but if you have to be in a situation such as this, accepting it for what it is and doing whatever you have to to make it okay is the best way to survive while you seek alternatives elsewhere...

Customer:

As for the cold, trying to remember to take vitamins and yes sleep does help.

Dr.Keane :

shouldn't say "survive" should say make the best of the situation.....survive sounds pretty desperate...

Customer:

I think it's something I now think of about a situation not always being ideal or less than ideal because I've had experience of that before and so try and do everything I can in someway or another not to have a repeat.

Dr.Keane :

good way to think...

Customer:

but agree with what you are saying.

Customer:

What's a good way to think? What I wrote or are you talking about what you wrote?

Dr.Keane :

what you wrote....we actually were saying the same thing....I think!!

Customer:

yes I think we possibly are.

Dr.Keane :

on the same page here....you are ready to move forward, just bide your time, find another job and see what happens, bet you'll be much more content....

Dr.Keane :

and keep sending out your resumes!!

Customer:

well I'll be able to tell you that if it ever happens.

Customer:

I was thinking about contentment a few days ago and it suddenly struck me that, just imagine I ended up managing doing what I wanted to do, but still didn't become more content. It was just a thought.

Dr.Keane :

I know you will, you are a fast learner and once you decide to do something, you put 100% into accomplishing it....

Dr.Keane :

I don't mean 100% content, that isn't healthy, need to have goals, being too content is boring,

Dr.Keane :

well you did say more content, so maybe I read that wrong....:)

Customer:

that's okay. Easily done. yes, wasn't meaning 100% content. I know not to have goals would be boring.

Customer:

actually not to have goals would be very boring indeed, with nothing to aim for.

Customer:

I just suddenly thought how boring that would be. Not sure I have properly before.

Dr.Keane :

Good I know you knew it.

Customer:

:)

Dr.Keane :

I have to end this chat so is there anything else right now?

Customer:

hope to talk to you again some day soon and hope you had a good quiet holiday.

Customer:

Glad we could catch-up and chat.

Customer:

Think we covered everything for today. Thank you!!

Dr.Keane :

Had a nice holiday, quiet and one day of great weather! Will chat again ......you are very welcome...keep up the good work..