TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

my son has terrible thought continuously. any help to get rid

my son has terrible thought continuously. any help to get rid of these would be appreciated. he already takes medication for ocd. has thoughts about touching someone all the time. worries that he did, evenif just inhis own yard. drives him crazy. he is not like that and would never do this. I know they say to just ignor these thoughts but he cant seem to do this.
Hello, I would like to help you with your question.

There are many things your son can do to help himself cope with these thoughts and compulsions. The trick for him is trying many things to find what works for him.

OCD thoughts can be handled through a variety of ways. I wrote this for him so you may want to print this out and give it to him so he can keep it on hand and practice these suggestions:

Learn to relax- this helps a lot because one of the main issues with OCD thoughts and compulsions is the anxiety you experience with them, triggering the urge to act out. So learning how to keep calm when dealing with these thoughts can help. Here is a link to help you learn Progressive Relaxation, one of the best ways to control your anxiety:

Write down your thoughts- by keeping a journal so you have a place to express your thoughts when they do bother you. It can also help to go back and see your progress or look at repeating patterns and how you handled them.

Make a list of activities- things you can do to distract yourself when you do experience OCD thoughts. Exercise, calling someone or watching a movie for example.

Repeating good thoughts- Make a list of thoughts that comfort you. "I am ok" "My doctor says I am fine" "I am healthy" etc. When you feel anxious or even when you just have a few moments in your day, read these thoughts through. It can help to have something to turn to when you feel your thoughts going in a bad direction.

Give yourself a break- realize that OCD is caused by physical imbalances in the brain as well as anxiety. So telling yourself things like "This is just a physical response and it is not my fault" or "I can control this any way I want" and doing another activity instead of giving in helps as well.

Do not give your obsession meaning- The more you focus on it, the more importance you give it. So treat it like it's nothing. "It's only my thoughts. It does not mean anything".

Cognitive behavior therapy can help a lot as well. It assists you in "retraining" your brain to think other thoughts and calming yourself so you don't feel the need to respond to the thoughts as much. And a therapist can help with exposure response prevention as well. It helps to have the support.

Read as much as you can about OCD and how to address it. The more you educate yourself, the better chance you will find things you can do to help yourself.

Here are some resources to help:

I hope this was helpful,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!