Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

My dad is on viibryd and xanax for depression and anxitey.

My dad is on viibryd and xanax for depression and anxiety. He has been taking viibryd for a few days and xanax for several months. He is 82 years old. How long before we start to see some real improvement?

hello, my name is Ja`Ree and I am a mental health counselor. I would like to assist you with your question. I would like a little information in order to give you the best assistance I can. Which is worse for your dad the depression or the anxiety? Anti depressions take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a month to really tell the difference. If you would like to talk with me further about this just reply to my message and I will respond when I see your reply. Thank you for contacting Just Answer. Ja`Ree
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The anxiety is worse than the depression. He gets very restless, particularly in the morning and has trouble sleeping. He generally sleeps a few hours (9pm-12am) then wakes up and has to take a Xanax (either half or whole pill .5MG) to be able to sleep a few more hours. Is there anything he can do to sleep through the night and also feel less restless?

Have you talk with his doctor about changing his anxiety medication? Since he has been taking it for a few months he may have developed a tolerance for it and increasing it or changing the medication may help. Is he able to express what he is anxious about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Xanax seems to be the only medication he can tolerate. He has tried Ativan, Kolonopin and Remeron. He seems to be OK on the Viibryd. He can't seem to articulate what he is anxious about. I think he is worried about his health. He was hospitalized in January for some dizziness and nausea but all his tests came out OK.

Any other suggestions?

Is he living at home or in a nursing home?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No he lives at home with his family.

I would suggest talking with his doctor about having a social worker to come to his home to assess him for possible counseling. Oft times as we get older we do worry about our health and dying. Many times the elderly do not want to trouble their family with their thoughts and fears, however, they will talk with a professional about these things and receive some comfort in just being able to talk. Is this something you might consider?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is not a big talker so I am not sure if that would help. Do you think the medications will be able to help him at all? I would like to go on vacation with him in early July so I am hoping to see some improvement by then. Do you think the medications could help him by early July?

It should help, however, I would talk with his doctor about whether it will or not. I am not sure that I am answering your questions in a way that you need. Would you like for me to opt out to see if a psychologist or another mental health professional might be able to assist you further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I would like to get the opinion of a psychologist. Thanks for all your help.

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

The Usual dose range of Viibryd (Vilazodone) is 40 mg per day. The initial dose is 10 mg per day which can be increased up to 20 mg per day by his doctor after a week. The dose can be further increased if needed to 40 mg per day after another week.

This medicine is useful for both Depression and anxiety symptoms. Patient may start responding within 2-3 weeks of starting Viibryd and a noticeable improvement is usually seen within 3-5 weeks. If it is not working withing 6-8 weeks, it may require a dosage increase or it may not work at all.

I hope this helps, please fee free to discuss further if you have any other query.

Kind regards

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards