Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field

MY WIFE HAS BEEN A VICTIM OF INTERNET FRAUD. We have stopped her from giving them anymore money. However, she believes they are real people. What can I do? we have been married 20yrs. never acted like this before
Hello there and thanks for asking JA. I wonder if you wife has had a compleate physical? If so what has changed during the last year that makes her believe those people? What is she really looking for? Sometimes small changes such as a child going to college make people sad and lonely and others take adventage of this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She had surgery on her knee in December she was fine then. I work nights and she works days. Home alone and at 57 she feels like left behind?

Hello there and thanks for clarifing things for me. It is hard for a couple to have opossite schedules. I wonder if you and your wife can find a way to turn up the romance. Maybe you can leave a note in her pillow or some other place telling her how much you love her. Small things that you can do to find time to go on a date, plan something for the weekend and give her a surprise get away, camping or reservations to a restaurant. Women need connection so maybe she is just missing you and have become vonurable to others who are very nice to her. Knee surgery is a big event and healing can take a long time. Does you wife have any close friends? Maybe you can talk to her friend about the issue of internet fraud.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

right now she is in contact with these guys. Its scary.I may be able to switch shifts to be home with her.she is out of the country until the 1st

That will be great if you will be able to switch shifts to be home. Have you reported this insident to your local authorities? Maybe you can talk to her about it when she is more logical. I still wonder if she needs to see a doctor. Sometimes medical conditions make people's personality change.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know her state of mind right now, she is returning to the US on the 1st. she is vulnerable.

I see that you are doing all you can do right now. Maybe changing your work chedule will be the most important thing you can do. Maybe interacting with you will be enought to fell the void.