TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I am a 53 year old woman, my brother just told me that when

I am a 53 year old woman, my brother just told me that when we were little, we went to my moms ex husbands house at times after school and my brother would get bowl of cereal and moms x would take be to a different room, I don't remember this or what took place, I had to be around 8 or ten maybe? why don't I remember this?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is very common to forget details about your childhood. Though it is more common in younger years (most people do not have memories before the age of 3 or 4), forgetting details is very normal. And if this was not a time that stood out in your mind for any reason then forgetting it would not be unusual.

Another possibility is that something did occur while you were at this home and it was traumatizing enough that you blocked it out. That is not to say something did happen, but trauma often causes people to block events that they feel they do not want to face. It is because of the emotions involved being so overwhelming that facing them feels like too much. So the memory is blocked. For example, when you are in a car accident you usually cannot remember the details. It happens to protect you from dealing with something too overwhelming to cope with at the time.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!