Penny Rayas, MFT
Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience:  I have 20 years experience in the mental health field
59700337

I am very emotionally upset since last night. OKMH526211

I am very emotionally upset since last night. I had to have a pet put to sleep late last night. I think it was the terrible suffering that has me so upset. My doctor has prescribed .25 mg of Xanax as a rescue dose for panic attacks. I have had the bottle for almost a year because I rarely take it. I usually only take 1/2 a tablet. I am wondering does Xanax help calm a person down from this type of emotional upset? I just need something to help me get through the day.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Penny Rayas, MFT replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and thanks for asking JA. I am so sorry that you had to put your cat to sleep. You are going throught grief and grief is very painful. Yes most doctor will give someone who goes through emotional anxiety some xanax. You can take this and it will numb the pain just a bit. I think emotional support also helps. I wonder if you can call a friend who can come and be with you today. If not, the internet is a good place to find support groups for grief. Your cat is a family member and you will go through what eveyone that losses someone goes through. The first stage if grief is anger. You may find yourself angry with everything and everyone. what offers you comfort? Do you believe there is spiritual life after death? Can you do a personal ritual to say good-buy to your cat? This ritual can be meaningful to you. You can burn a candle write and letter and burn it and imagine that the words are reaching your cat in heaven.

You can keep a candle with her picture and burn it in her memory.

I know that there is no words that can take away this pain. The pain means you loved her deaply and you had such a great relationship with her, and that was a gift.

Penny Rayas, MFT, Therapist
Experience: I have 20 years experience in the mental health field
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m the moderator for this topic. I am sorry, but It seems that the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. ..or because they have to go off line for any number of reasons. If you are still waiting for an answer, I will try to find a new professional to assist you! Please keep in mind that sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected. All of our professionals come on at varying times, so sometimes it’s a bit difficult to predict. Either way....If you would prefer not to wait, please feel free to let me know, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you.

Camille

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am just seeing that this was answered. I am sorry I did not respond. I am doing much better now. I will definitely follow some her her advice.