Jean
Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
66147936

Hi Jean I have a follow up to my previous question. If I decide

Hi Jean I have a follow up to my previous question. If I decide not to allow my ex to take pick me up and take care of me after my procedure, what exactly should I say? Should I be totally honest and say that I appreciate it but it would hurt me? That
is true, but makes me feel more vulnerable. Should I lie and say I found a friend to help me? Or should I say I appreciate your offer but you said you need to be alone and I want to respect your decision, so I don't want to do anything contrary to that? Thank
you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Jean replied 1 year ago.
Any of those options is being honest. You do not need to explain yourself at all really. That's the empowering thing in this- it's your choice. Simply saying "I've made other arrangements, but thanks anyway". Allow him to decide what he wants to do with the "rejection". It may be a good opportunity for him to think about how much he is losing. If he asks questions, at that point you could offer a bit more information if you'd like. There is no right or wring in this. Trust what comes. It's also okay that you have not responded- he's the one who ended this relationship in the first place. The use of "I" can be effective. "I need to do this on my own, I will make other arrangements", "As much as I'd like to take you up on your offer, I can't"- I like that one! Just continue to put some thought into this- but trust your gut on this. Hope that helps a bit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again. I will take the best two days and decide what will be best for me.
Expert:  Jean replied 1 year ago.
Good luck. Let me know how it goes for you. Best wishes on your medical procedure and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience: Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)