Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)

Hi Jean I have a follow up to my previous question. If I decide

Hi Jean I have a follow up to my previous question. If I decide not to allow my ex to take pick me up and take care of me after my procedure, what exactly should I say? Should I be totally honest and say that I appreciate it but it would hurt me? That
is true, but makes me feel more vulnerable. Should I lie and say I found a friend to help me? Or should I say I appreciate your offer but you said you need to be alone and I want to respect your decision, so I don't want to do anything contrary to that? Thank
Any of those options is being honest. You do not need to explain yourself at all really. That's the empowering thing in this- it's your choice. Simply saying "I've made other arrangements, but thanks anyway". Allow him to decide what he wants to do with the "rejection". It may be a good opportunity for him to think about how much he is losing. If he asks questions, at that point you could offer a bit more information if you'd like. There is no right or wring in this. Trust what comes. It's also okay that you have not responded- he's the one who ended this relationship in the first place. The use of "I" can be effective. "I need to do this on my own, I will make other arrangements", "As much as I'd like to take you up on your offer, I can't"- I like that one! Just continue to put some thought into this- but trust your gut on this. Hope that helps a bit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you again. I will take the best two days and decide what will be best for me.
Good luck. Let me know how it goes for you. Best wishes on your medical procedure and I wish you a speedy recovery.