Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach

"i have been diagnosed with PSTD and GAD. i have looked up

"i have been diagnosed with PSTD and GAD. i have looked up symptons and it includes bad (self harm and harm to others) thoughts and anger issues. I have never experienced/ feel these thoughts and behaviour, i am the opposite, quiet and withdrawn, kind and caring. i therefore question therefore if i have been given correct ...i get flashbacks, nightmares, headaches, anxiety, a sense of vagness in my mind, memory problems (my ex marriage ended ten years ago and my childhood truma). i hope this is not disocation because i have read-up on symptons and it seems that this is a long term condition.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 10 months ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know you have been undergoing these painful feelings and emotions for this long.

Customer:

hello

Customer:

i cant see your question, the box is too small

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

A person who suffered trauma does not necessarily have to present violent behaviors against self or toward other people.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Are you using a computer or a mobile device?

Customer:

yes i can see the box but its tiny and dont know how to expand it

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see. I am sorry but I do not know how windows size in customers' interface could be changed

Customer:

2 years

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Then you have been suffering of all these symptoms for the past two years, right?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Form your marriage-divorce, but also from childhood issues, correct?

Customer:

yes

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

As I was saying, a person could develop PTSD or an anxiety disorder related to traumatic experiences without developing violent-destructive behaviors against other people or self.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

If you have been presenting all these symptoms for the past two years, then it's obvious to me that you have developed a chronic anxiety disorder, and perhaps a depressive disorder too, but it seems you have only or mostly used psychiatric drugs but no necessary psychological treatment at all, is that correct?

Customer:

i am having trouble reading your message, box is so small cant you type an?d add a space between lines

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Rehabilitation from trauma, depression and anxiety is possible, but it requires consistent and adequate psychotherapy. There is no drug that could heal or rehabilitate a person from trauma, depression or an anxiety disorder, that's why psychological treatment is the way to go in order for people to work on their own healing, venting and processing painful and traumatic feelings from life issues, developing better coping skills and resilience, and learning how to be more assertive and shape their present using necessary personal tools and help from their support system.

Customer:

ex marriage-he was violent

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Sure let me do that

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Rehabilitation from trauma, depression and anxiety is possible, but it requires consistent and adequate psychotherapy. There is no drug that

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

could heal or rehabilitate a person from trauma, depression or an anxiety disorder, that's why psychological treatment is the way to go in order

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

for people to work on their own healing, venting and processing painful and traumatic feelings from life issues, developing better coping skills

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

and resilience, and learning how to be more assertive and shape their present using necessary personal tools and help from their support

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

...system.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see, violence could truly deeply undermine a person's mental health and well-being, even more if it comes from a family member or loved one,

and the worst cases are those where a parent or spouse are the perpetrators.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Then when it is not only about isolated episodes of abuse but chronic domestic violence, the damage inflicted could be very traumatic.

Customer:

i tried counselling and had two psychotherapy assessments;it left me feeling raw, increased smyptons and so i stopped.

Customer:

yes family and husband were perpetrators

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Individual psychotherapy could be the best source of support allowing you to rehabilitate from past abuse, violence and the disorders they

created. If you complement it with group psychotherapy and then with a support group, you would be getting the best possible support to

rehabilitate and grow from this painful situations in your life.

Customer:

how long will this past haunt me, its been two years ans memories flooding back.

Customer:

i harly ever go out-due to feeling overwelming anxiety.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Counselling and psychotherapy are processes and not a mechanistic fix, they take time and hard work, require a competent, ethical and

experienced clinician , and a client willing to commit herself to work on core issues, traumas, challenges and problems, being totally honest,

open and accountable for what it takes to heal from such painful life experiences. if the professional is not competent enough in his/her

approach, or if does not have enough experience, treatment could not work.

Customer:

i cant work, no social life either, my world has shrunk to being at home where i feel focused and caring for my children (aged 19 and 14)

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Without adequate psychotherapeutic support to develop a real rehabilitation process, trauma, anxiety or depression could remain and worsen

with time, this is why it is essential to face to challenges presented by necessary treatment and commit to it if the person truly wants to

rehabilitate and grow from such experiences.

Customer:

tried medication,counselling,therapy even proceeded with lawful case against perpetrator but i had to stop because increased symptoms too. feel 'stuck'.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Isolating, avoiding a necessary and healthy social life, creating a social network and a healthy support system, could lead anybody to

depression and anxiety disorders, and to any other form of mental health problem, even worse if the person already has psychological

problems. This is why consistent psychotherapy is necessary guiding the person's concrete work on self and her daily life, in order to

transform it. No significant change could happen without real efforts we make moment by moment in our realities, since it is through our

actions that we shape our lives. Clear insight is essential, but without consistent actions becomes useless. Psychotherapy is most time

necessary, but without the work the person needs to develop between session in her real daily life, it would become useless too.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

For how long did you consistently work on yourself with psychotherapeutic support?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Which were the main goals of your treatment plans and what were the changes you implemented based on them?

Customer:

i am so determined to get better but health 'get in the way'. i try so hard to challenge myself as i always have hope to regain my independence. I will never give-up trying, but it ties me out.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

How gentle and patient have you been towards yourself?

Customer:

psychotherapy, but nhs could not confirm that they could offer my therapy once a week until assessment completed (i understand and respect that); i stopped assessments because i was i got the impression that they would not offer therapy once a week because i think i need it twice a week.

Customer:

i critise myself almost always

Customer:

i never feel i do anything good enough

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Assessment is an ongoing process that starts with an initial evaluation-interview and continue with following sessions, it should not take too

many sessions for a clinician - organization to get a preliminary diagnosis to open a case and start providing support while continuing with the

evaluation process. Please, even with all the limitations and frustrations it could get, try to commit to it, since it would be the only and best way

to ensure your chances of rehabilitation, even if it is once a week, much better than no therapy at all.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Then that could be a core problem totally undermining your possibility for any rehabilitation. Please work on becoming unconditionally patient,

gentle, understanding, compassionate, respectful and supportive with yourself, since based on that, you would be able to take good care of

yourself and benefit from any helpful hand, otherwise you could promote self-sabotage and neglect your very chances for healing and growth.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

To be consistent taking actions does not mean to torment or punish yourself, mentally or emotionally, but to show in your actions how much

you care about yourself, self-respect and love to make things easier and better for you, never harder or more painful.

Customer:

im trying; my children are my life and i love them so very much and want them to see me grow in independce and expand my life outside of home (work, social,hobbies) they want that for me too.

Customer:

Thank you for your advise.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

That's wonderful and for sure a real blessing. They are your support system and old enough to play an active role helping you the same way

you have dedicated your life raising them. Please reflect on my words, allow yourself to become this unconditionally gentle, kind and

compassionate towards yourself and commit to psychotherapy, an at least join a support group if you do not find group psychotherapy, that

could make a huge difference.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for being this open and honest here, for your trust.

Customer:

I so very much hope i will get better in time;patience and continue trying is the key i think.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please take gentle care and consistent action to create the health, well-being and fulfillment you need and deserve.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Absolutely, the very first step leads to the completion of a thousand miles path.

Customer:

Absolutely dedicated my life to them; now i guess its time to think about me, but naturally continue to be there for them. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX for your time and advise, it all makes sense.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome. thank you for allowing me to share with you this way. Loving and taking good care of yourself, would allow you to take

even better care of your children and enjoy together everything good life has to offer. God blesses you too.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Take gentle care and bye for now.

Customer:

Thank you :)

Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience: MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach