Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

I believe my father has a mood disorder, but he does not believe

Customer Question

I believe my father has a mood disorder, but he does not believe in psychiatry and will not seek diagnosis or treatment. What should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 1 year ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about your situation.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Unhappily the scenario you depict here is not uncommon at all, and it could happen with many if not most mental health disorders.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The most common issue around getting a diagnosis and treatment is the dominant stigma associated with any form of mental health intervention - support. People feel it would be seen as a personality deficiency, lack of character, shameful and even as being insane. These beliefs just make it harder for loved ones to promote awareness and understanding about the need for professional support.

Customer :

Well, with my father, he has a degree in Psychology, and this has caused him to believe that most psychology/psychiatry is fraudulent, and that mood disorders do not exist.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Many times there is the belief that counseling or psychotherapy are useless, and that money would be wasted with any type of mental health services. Then it is very complex and people could justify in multiple ways why not to even consider getting the help they need.

Customer :

It's effecting his life badly, though. He's irrational and angry, constantly.

Customer :

He's snapping at me, and he's sometimes breaking down when driving, though nothing bad has happened yet.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

That only makes his situation much more complex, since he's already convinced his distorted point of view about mental health is totally valid because of having studied and got a degree in psychology.

Customer :

I'm not really sure what I should do.

Customer :

I'm moving out next week, but it's still a huge stress on me.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I have to say that having a degree in psychology and even working in the mental health fil;ed do not make people immune to mental health disorders, and that it is much more common to find dysfunctional people working in the mental health filed than in other professional areas, which just says a lot of how complex a situation like this could get. Imagine the impact it could have meeting an incompetent, unethical or dysfunctional mental health professional for a person like your father, it would just reinforce all the beliefs ha has about this matter.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This is for sure a tough and very frustrating experience for anybody in your shoes.

Customer :

Yes, I agree.

Customer :

I'm sorry, this really is not helpful to me. This is stuff I know.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Unhappily reality is that unless he happens t represent a serious risk of harm to self or others, of undergoing neglect or abuse, nobody could make him get necessary treatment without his consent.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I would say that most times what people in your situation can do is to focus on improving closeness, trust, intimacy and communication through regular sharing with the person suffering the disorder, in order to support them in that way, while monitoring how these problems - symptoms evolve, for you to be ready to intervene and provide support as needed when possible.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Sadly there is no magic to make a person in his situation radically change his mind. A realistic approach requires good understanding of what happens, coming to terms with the fact that the best way to support a person with a mental health disorder refusing treatment is by working on improving communication and the very relationship with that person, taking into account any window of opportunity for you to share and get his openness and willingness to share and listen to you, even in indirect ways.

Customer :

I don't want to waste any more of your time. I would like to go now.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Looking for joining support groups for people who have a loved one suffering of a mental disorder, in order to get educated and receive support on how to effectively cope and support them, appears as a concrete and most times helpful step to take.

No problem. I hope you find the support you need.

Customer :

I would like to rate this? Why can't I?