Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach

Ive been diagnosed last year with depression and anxiety my

Customer Question

I've been diagnosed last year with depression and anxiety my mom past away January ive been going through the menapause the last 2 years i am only 42 ive been getting all panicky each day stupid thoughts enter my mind and then i make myself frightned. I've noticed the most times i am like this is morning dinner time especially. These thought i have are of fear im scared incase they turn into voices . I do not hear audible voices they are just negative thoughts ive had for so long losing my mom has contributed to my problem and the early menapause does not help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 1 year ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about your loss and how anxiety and depression have been impacting your life this much. Premenopause and menopause could deeply affect and change a woman's life for sure, depending on how your organism react to the horrmonal and psychological changes it presents. Now you also have thyroid problems, which by itself could create depressive problems too, and not facing grief from the loss of your mother. No doubt you have a lot to cope with, and anybody in your shoes would feel very overwhelmed by all these life situations.

Customer :

Yes I know i feel like im on a roller coaster its very destressin at times however i feel i am making some progress.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for replying

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am glad to know you feel you are making progress, that's very good since it shows your body and mind are responding well to these stressors.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You have described how you have been using different medications to regulate these diverse disorders, but have not mentioned anything about psychological treatment for any of them. Could you please tell me a little about that?

Customer :

I have been to see a cbt therapist it helps but its when I feel im on a roller coaster up and down just dont like the feeling

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Mood and physical changes from menopause, grief from a parent loss, and the effects of depression and anxiety disorders, each require, most of the time of necessary psychological support - treatment. These disorders have been affecting you for long periods of time, them it seems obvious to me that you need consistent and regular, sound psychotherapeutic support, one that adjust to your several needs, personality and expectations.

Customer :

I dont understand ?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Individual therapy would be very important. CBT could help if provided by a competent and experienced clinician, but it could not be enough, specially when there are deeper issues, like grief, which require the person to feel more empathetically connected and supported by the mental heal professional.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Your feelings and emotions are normal reaction to your grief, but they got distorted by hormonal menopausal changes, and other hormonal problems related to your thyroid, this is why you have an extra need to get enough support to explore, vent and process your emotions and feelings, besides of developing new behaviors like CBT promotes.

Customer :

Yes I do feel my hormoanes are playing a big part in this can this make u go insane ?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This is why I recommend you to get psychotherapeutic support with an integral approach, by a therapist with expertise not only on CBT, but on humanistic therapies too, and if possible with an eclectic-more diversified and enriched expertise in other therapeutic approaches, who could support you much better specially processing and coping with these overwhelming feelings.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Our emotions and feelings are regulated by our hormones, and if we get a significant imbalance at that level, we can get our mental health deeply affected for sure.

Customer :

Yes for sure they have effected me. And I don't believe tablets will cure. But I don't know what to do !

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This is why a multidisciplinary professional team, with experts from different areas should provide adequate support for you to rehabilitate and feel better. Communication and collaboration between your gynecologist - obstetrician, your thyroid doctor and your psychotherapist should be dynamic, for them to provide the best possible support, taking into account how each disorder and treatment affect the other ones.

Customer :

Here in the uk i just have a dr that is all

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Drugs do not have the power to cure depression, nor anxiety or grief. For menopause we know that there are different treatments, including hormonal therapy to try to adjust different problems, but even those treatments present risks, side effects and limitations.

Customer :

Im on prem pak the highest dose for menapause

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This is why psychotherapy, including both, individual and group versions represent ideal source of support for you to work on developing further coping skills and to rehabilitate from mental health disorders and grief, while better coping with physical symptoms created by medical conditions.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

It is very frustrating to know you only have one physician supporting you.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You mean you do not have a gynecologist treating you for your menopause problem, and an endocrinologist helping with the thyroid condition?

Customer :

Yes I know . But, what i want to know is these thoughts does that come from my anxiety depression

Customer :

No just a dr

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Negative thoughts or ideation are common problem people with depression or anxiety experience, and there is no drug that could fix that, but psychotherapy could support the person to reduce anxiety and elevate mood, in order to better cope and eliminate such problem.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry to know that, it is truly frustrating and unacceptable for a person to have these health problems and not to receive necessary medical and health treatment, from diagnosing to treatment.