Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

If the diagnosis turns out to schizoaffective disorder bipolar,

If the diagnosis turns out to schizoaffective disorder bipolar, is there a chance that the disease could become worse and develop into schizophrenia?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear friend,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I think that it is much too early to begin speculation that will only get you worked up into a state of fear and apprehension.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Schizoaffective disorder is very confusing to a lot of mental health specialists, and is often thought to be a cross between a mood disorder and Schizophrenia, while others call it a form of Bipolar Disorder, which is a mood disorder.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Your son has not yet been diagnosed, and he may have neither. Sometimes in cases of extreme anxiety, hallucinations are possible.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Why was the nature of his psychotic breaks?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Has he been extremely traumatized in his life, even many years ago?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Also, keep in mind, that sometimes manic attacks can produce psychotic incidents as well.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Did he serve in the military?
Customer: He may have been but doesn't have clear memories. He has not dealt with the loss of his father when he was twenty. I don know exactly the nature of what happened except that he couldn't tell reality from what wasn't real. The medication he is on is to treat either schizoaffective disorder or schizophrenia and seems to be working. This would make me think that one of these diagnosis is correct since the medicine seems to be working.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Those same medicines are used for bipolar disorder.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : What exactly is he taking?
Customer: Invega
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : It is also prescribed for Bipolar Disorder (generic name is paliperidone).
Customer: Oh, I read about the medication online and it only mentioned it being for schizoaffective disorder and schizophrenia
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : He had what is known as Derealization, and he may be just now dealing with the loss of his father.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invega
Customer: He is going to go to counselling to try and deal with the loss. They were so very close.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Does he startle easily?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Does he get nightmares or flashbacks?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Is he hypervigilant?
Customer: I don't think he startles easily and hasn't mentioned nightmares but has had problems sleeping. He is impulsive.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Does he seem to have fears that he cannot quite explain?
Customer: He hasn't mentioned that but does have low self esteem which he will also work on in counselling
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Does he feel detached or isolated from other people?
Customer: Not really, he has a group of friends that he enjoys spending time with as well as family
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Does he avoid talking about his father?
Customer: He mentions him sometimes. The first place he wanted to go when he got out of the hospital was the cemetary. I don't think he's been there since his father passed and I was concerned if this was good right now or not. He feels it is something he needs to do
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Does he have angry outbursts?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Or irritability?
Customer: No. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as irritability. He has even been able to joke about his recent incident.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Does he ever have panic attacks? (fast heartbeat, hard to catch his breath, sweating, fear)
Customer: He hasn't mentioned this
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : But he is doing fine now?
Customer: He is feeling better but knows he has issues to deal with. I'm not sure if his emotions feel slightly blunted right now or not. Also he is only out of the hospital for a few days and even if that is the case maybe some time will help with that
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I would certainly get a second opinion. I would never trust a doctor who was ready to use ECT from the start.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : His therapist should be experienced with trauma disorders, including PTSD and Derealization.
Customer: Yes we are going to do that. My mother had shock treatments many years ago and never remember my father or I again
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Just to check him out.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I am sorry about that, but I am glad you understand my concern for your son.
Dear friend,

Sorry I was not able to connect with you earlier because I could not get onto the JA site. My apologies. Invega can cause memory loss, as can most antipsychotics. It is a strong medication.

I wish your son continued good health.

Best wishes,

Elliott