Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Shock treatments were suggested for my son but he is not sure

Shock treatments were suggested for my son but he is not sure about this type of treatment. I don't believe that shock treatments could offer a complete cure. Would you agree or not?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear friend,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : That suggestion is unethical unless your son has had depression for a long time and has not been able to respond to it.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You told me earlier that he had not even been diagnosed yet. That notwithstanding, they want to give him Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)- shocks to his brain.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : That is a treatment of last resort and is not a long-term cure.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : It can stop depression for perhaps three months and then has to be done again, over and over.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : There can be some short-term memory loss that is often regained.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If nothing else can give him relief then it is a viable option. However, he should first try medications and psychotherapy.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If he has never had a problem like this before then I strongly urge you to get a second opinion.
Customer: Thank-you, I feel the same way.