Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Although my son hasnt received a diagnosis yet he did recently

Although my son hasn't received a diagnosis yet he did recently suffer a situation where he became manic and had a psychotic episode. He has never had this happen before and is not on medication that seems to be helping. Although I didn't know what was going on at the time I spoke to him over the phone during the manic phase and I had the feeling that I wouldn't have been able to get him to listen to me although he normally does. He says yes it is true that during this experience he wouldn't have listened to me. My question is that in case this happens again how does a family member try and get the person to hear what they are saying since it would be important for their well being.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear friend,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I believe that I can help you.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If your son has had a manic episode and also a psychotic episode he is either suffering from, most likely, Bipolar Disorder (with Psychotic Episodes), or Schizoaffective Disorder, bipolar type.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : The difference is whether or not the episodes run together.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If your son is having a manic attack, you will have to do your forceful best to break his train of racing thoughts and talkativeness by distracting him with questions and interrupting him, politely of course.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : It might be hard to get his attention but all you can do is try as persistently as you can.
Customer: I know medications can help but as I understand it they don't guarantee that another episode will take place. Is reducing stress and living a healthy lifestyle the best that a person can do to try and prevent another episode?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : He will be easily distractable so you will have that to your advantage.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Absolutely.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : This disorder is also somewhat hereditary, and so he may have a tendency towards it.
Customer: Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX planning to work on the healthy lifestyle and probably switch to a less stressful job. Yes he is dealing with genetics
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : He should avoid caffeine and other stimulants, get lots of exercise, and try to harness his energy in constructive ways. A person in a manic state can actually be very productive workwise and tend toward goal-directed activity. He may have to be guided in that direction.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : The key to getting and keeping is attention is repetition and persistence.
Customer: Thank-you so much for your support and advice. You have been wonderful. I will now give you an excellant service rating.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Antipsychotic medication or mood stabilizers should be very helpful.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Thank you so much. I shall keep him, and all of your family in my prayers.
Customer: Yes, the medication is already working well. Thanks again and I appreciate the prayers.