Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I am feeling very suicidal but I do not want to go back to

Customer Question

I am feeling very suicidal but I do not want to go back to the hospital. They do not help you they just fill you full of drugs. What can I do to help get these thoughts to pass and not to come back?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear friend,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I believe that I can help.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If you were online I would prefer to chat with you.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I will ask you some questions and you can respond when you get back on line. When I am available I will pick up the chat and continue working with you until you feel satisfied.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : How old are you?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : How long have you been depressed?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Were you ever abused, neglected, abandoned, or traumatized in any way?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : What symptoms do you have besides sadness to the point of despair and suicidal thoughts?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Have you ever attempted suicide?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : What medications are you taking now?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Do you have any profession or skills or interests or hobbies?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Do you live alone or with someone? Who?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Do you have family members nearby? How is your relationship with them?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Have any medications ever helped?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Do you drink or use illicit drugs?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Are you in a relationship?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Do you have children?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Are you under the care of a psychiatrist?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Do you have a diagnosis?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Please get back to me and I shall pick up this chat later on.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Warm regards,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer : Thank you for your response ,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Hello. I am back and see you typing.
Customer : i am 43 as of today I have been dealing with depression for a long time. I have been abused as a child and and a young adult. I have toyed suicide before. And have been hospitalized most of last summer. I live with my family. My relationship with them is good over all. As long as I keep the water calm and not bring nothing up then all is good. But that can not last long because it can not all bee good all the time. I take Zolftand clone pin, buspor trasadone. I do not take any drugs that I am not suppose too. I am married for the last 23 years and we have three children. One grandchild. Yes I have a psychiatrist and a therapist but I can never get to talk to them when I need to talk to them. They are big on pushing meds or going to the hospital and that is not what I need . If I can not get a handle on this myself with some help from this then I am not sure i can be helped. I been at this a long time and some thing has to give. I have been diagnosis with PTSD and mood disorder and personality disorder .
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Thanks. I suspected that you might have PTSD and the personality disorder they have in mind may be Borderline PD. Is that the one? Do you self-injure or have eating disorders? The mood disorder is part of the PTSD.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Please respond and I shall continue.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : By the way:
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Happy Birthday To You ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Customer : i do self injure. Thank you for the birthday wishes. Border line yes
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : What kind of therapy do you do?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dialectical Behavior Therapy?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : This therapy is the way to treat BPD and probably PTSD. Both of these disorders are related and are due to the effects of trauma, abuse, or neglect.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Let me recommend a wonderful book on Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) - actually a workbook for you to self-start on the treatment. If your therapist is not available or not effective then you could find one who is. Let me know your city and state and perhaps I can find some recommendations.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Here is the book:
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal... by Matthew McKay, Jeffrey C. Wood and Jeffrey Brantley
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : http://www.amazon.com/Dialectical-Behavior-Therapy-Skills-Workbook/dp/1572245131/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369332697&sr=8-1&keywords=dialectical+behavior+therapy+skills+workbook
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : and
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : The Expanded Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Training Manual: Practical DBT for Self-Help, and Individual ... by Lane Pederson and Cortney Sidwell Pederson http://www.amazon.com/Expanded-Dialectical-Behavior-Therapy-Training/dp/1936128128/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1369332697&sr=8-4&keywords=dialectical+behavior+therapy+skills+workbook
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : and another book of hope:
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Product DetailsGet Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder by Rachel Reiland
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder by Rachel Reiland
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : http://www.amazon.com/Get-Out-Here-Borderline-Personality/dp/1592850995/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369332977&sr=1-7&keywords=borderline+personality+disorder
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I shall save the chat again, as I did before, because you are off line for the moment.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Please do something nice for yourself for your birthday. If I were able, I would play and sing you happy birthday in person or over the phone.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Hopefully, today will be a day of bebirth for you.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I hope to talk later.