Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I apologize for the vulgar terminology but I often get a case

I apologize for the vulgar terminology but I often get a case of what is referred to as "the f**k its." I was wondering what this stems from. Of course it leads to some type of self-destructive behavior, which is not good.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear friend,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I believe that I can help.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : What you are talking about seems to be the symptoms of major depression. This "attitude" indicates some possible symptoms:
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : -depressed mood
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : -possible fatigue, tiredness or loss of energy
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : -loss of interest in maintaining activities or standards
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : -possible decrease in concentration and in decisiveness
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : -possible decrease in level of self-worth
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : -a slowing down of psychomotor activitity
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : -possible rise in level of irritability
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You say that you are on medication. I would not be surprised it the medicine was antidepressants. You may not be responding to the medicine either because that particular one if not effective on you (one med does not fit all), or perhaps the medicine is appropriated but the dosage is too low.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If you feel this way you should return to your prescribing physician, or to a psychiatrist (who is much more of an expert on psychotropic medications and is also an MD)and try a different approach.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You may have stressors in your life, or may be someone who suffers from chronic low levels of depression called dysthyomia (or Dysthymic Disorder). This can be treated with the same medications (but you need to find the ones that work).
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If you have never been to see a counselor or psychotherapist, the process of talk therapy as been shown to be very effective in treating moderate depression, sometimes in conjunction with a medication (antidepressant). You may consider finding someone to talk to.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If interested you can "shop around" for one at www.psychologytoday.com. Enter city and state and explore the possibilities. Each therapist talks about their credentials and approach, and you can see a picture and get a feel for that person.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I wish you great success and shall keep you in my prayers.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Warm regards,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If you need more advice or wish to discuss this problem further, please feel free to respond and I shall do my best to help.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.