Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Is there potential psychological damage to a child of 8 being

Is there potential psychological damage to a child of 8 being required to wear someone else's clothing? In this case the step mothers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear friend,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I believe that I can help.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If you are online I would like to ask you a few questions.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Since you are not available I will answer and try to cover your possible responses in my answer.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If the child is unhappy wearing the clothing and feels that she is forced to wear the clothing against her will, than that will cause her resentment and anger toward the stepmother.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : However, if the clothes fit properly, are stylish to the girl, and the girl likes them, then she will not care and might enjoy them.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If the girl doesn't think about it, then there is not a problem. If someone else is telling her that she should not like it and should not wear the clothes, then the girl might develop a problem with the clothing. If it is not an issue to the girl then someone else shouldn't try to make her feel that it is wrong or that it is hurting her.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : The stepmother is now with the father, and if this helps the girl to develop a friendlier bond with the woman that she spends part of the time with, then this will be healthier for the girl than if she resents the stepmother.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : The girl should not be allowed to become manipulated by the stepmother or by the blood family. She needs to be comfortable in her situation because that is part of her environment and she needs to be supported by all sides.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I see that you are online now.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Can you explain the situation in a bit more detail please so that I can give you the best help?
Customer: The clothing is outdated and unsuitable style for a child of 8. Shoes are too large.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Oversized shoes are unhealthy and abusive if she cannot walk properly in them.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : What does the young girl say about the clothes?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If the child is unhappy, if her peers are making fun of her (leading to a possible bullying situation), and if she cannot walk properly, then this is abusive and can lead to psychological damage.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I wish her great success and hope that here father will see the problem and intervene in a reasonable way to protect his daughter. In broken families, it is essential to protect the innocent children who suffer as blameless victims.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I shall keep her in my prayers.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Warm regards,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC