Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My daughter has been accused by her ex as having Munchausen

Customer Question

My daughter has been accused by her ex as having Munchausen by Proxy. She and her ex were required by court order to be evaluated which was a two day process at a cost of $2000 each. The assessment showed only that she was a little more defensive than he was.
It is difficult for me to accept he doesn't have to prove she has it, we have to prove she doesn't. She was a victim of domestic violence by her ex 7 years ago when my grandson was 2 and he is still using the court to harass her. The year of anger management, year of community service and year of supervised visits only angered him more. Her attorney asked that we get our own independent assessment that he came pull from his hat in court....which is June 10, 11, 12. She is the custodial parent and he is the visiting parent. If he can prove a change in circumstance, which he believes "his" diagnosis will create (he researched how easy it was to get a child taken away from a mother by suggesting she has this) and is seeking full custody of my grandson. With my daughter only having supervised visits. My Grayson is 9 now and in counseling due to the anxiety level he has which goes along with sensory integration disorder. He has asthma which his father refused to accept which meant the son had to go through further testing by another specialist to prove he has it and needs an inhaler, which he refuses to let him have when he is at his house. He has language delay and on a iep at school for extra help. He had visual therapy and all these are part of the sensory integration disorder, but his dad says she is going from one doctor to another and she has the doctors fooled. I cannot find any one in Greenville sc would does a one type assessment! They are program based and we need an assessment done this week or first of next week, can you offer help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear friend,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I believe that I can help. It sounds as if you are dealing with a very dastardly and unscrupulous man, and unfortunately you will have to put up a fierce resistance.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Your attorney should make it clear to him that he and his client WILL prove that his charges are false and that you will not only have him criminally charged for making false charges, but will sue him for libel, slander, and make him pay all legal costs.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : This may not stop him, but it will give him pause when he realizes how vulnerable he now is to a defeat at great expense, and even possible jail time.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : In the meanwhile you need to find a therapist who can represent you in court.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Can you tell me clearly EXACTLY what kind of assessment you want done and will it be on your daughter or grandson or both and I shall see if I can locate someone in your area. I await your response.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You do understand that an expert witness will be very expensive, but in this case I know you will suffer whatever it takes to save your grandson.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I will give you several contacts. The first one is a national organization and may be more expensive because of travel costs.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : http://www.jurispro.com/category/child-psychology-s-506/SC/
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : http://www.northmaincounseling.com/
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : (sorry for the repetition)
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : http://www.brewercenter.com/
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : http://www.lowdergroup.com/
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_detail.php?profid=150629&sid=1369239627.7371_2587&city=Greenville&county=Greenville&state=SC&spec=177&tr=ResultsName&trow=2&ttot=88
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You are currently not available to chat. I shall keep this chat open and saved and you can return to me whenever you want to and will pick it up as soon as I am available, depending on the caseload of the moment.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Warm regards,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Dear Julia,

I received your second letter and after reading it assumed that you could not read the chat replies so I switched to this mode, called Q & A in the hope that you can see what I have written.

Please get back to me as I will continue to help you to resolve this.

I will try to find you a psychological expert witness.

Warm regards,

Elliott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
If there is a specific evaluation for Munchausen, that is what we want done, or if there are any other assessment that the therapist could use to substantiate proof my daughter is acting in the best interest of her son, because the evaluation or assessment show no such tendency! Plus my daughter can present doctor statements to confirm they were the ones who diagnosed him from the symptons provided to them by Grayson's caregiver, teachers, etc. and that he was on an IEP at his school which is based on the school's observations and assessments has nothing to do with my daughter's imagination. What other assessment would you recommend that could show no indicaters?
Dear Julia,

This is a very complex issue. First of all the person who does the evaluation has to fully understand this complexity when this kind of abuse is alleged.

MSbPis a situation in which a caregiver deliberately exaggerates, fabricates, exaggerates. or creates or induces physical, psychological, and/or behavioral problems in those they are caring for.

The evaluator must understand how falsification of illness can and cannot be induced and must show that the abuse is true. The evaluator must show if there is any evidence that the abuse did indeed occur and that the alleged perpetrator did meet the criteria for having this disorder.

I have a very extensive article that will give you a very comprehensive look at this situation and will give you a tremendous amount of guidance. It is from the J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 34:1:90-95 (January 2006)

from a PhD doctor with 30 years of experience in the field (and with contact information).

http://www.jaapl.org/content/34/1/90.full

Sorry. I cannot get this out of Italic mode. JA is experiencing problems today and this is just a tiny one.

I have some other very important articles for you to read. Education/knowledge is power and you need to know all that you can to protect yourself, win the case, and then go after him for trying to do this to you and your