Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia, it may have been a misdiagnosis.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia, it may have been a misdiagnosis. How do I find out?

When I was 19, I completely lost my mind. I've been on medication ever since and am concerned about a misdiagnosis. I haven't showed any symptoms of schizophrenia. My psychologist doubts I even have it. My aunt who's a psychologist doubts I even have it. Everyone else considers it "the meds doing their job".

Schizophrenia is really holding me back from obtaining certain professional licenses. I'd be real happy if theirs a way to find out if it was a misdiagnosis.

Also, durring the onset I was doing two things that I NEVER do. One was, I was madly inlove with a girl who didn't think of me the same way, the other is I was working out like crazy. I know both can cause chemical changes in the brain.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I'll be glad to be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how frustrating this situation must be for you. You are clearly doing well now and that's wonderful. You had some type of problem during that period. That you're doing well now, though, is crucial.

And this is actually the key to my answer to you that you need to consider. You are focusing on how to reverse the explanation of what occurred during that period (the diagnosis). But this is going to be a 2 step process. The first step is to focus on the fact that you are doing well now.

And that means working with your doctors to see if you indeed do not need the medications any longer. This will involve discussions between your psychologist and your psychiatrist. If possible, you should see if a conference can be held with everyone present to discuss this. How to discontinue medications will need to be treated very carefully, so that you have the best chance of tolerating the change from medications to no medications easily and effectively and are monitored well.

You see, once the current situation has been established as being not actively schizophrenic then you can begin to address the event that happened during that period. It is possible that you had a psychotic episode that was isolated and caused by some anomalous event specific to that period. This is indeed possible and it is what you suspect.

So, once you've established that the current situation is indeed non-schizophrenic you will be in a much better position to address the understanding of what happened in that period in the past.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been doing some research and came across "brief psychotic disorder". Do I fit the bill for this? As far as stress goes, the girl who I was in love with was really really eating me alive. It's beyond words.

In the event that my doctors do decide to see if I'm ok without the medication, what are the risks involved?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is the type of diagnosis that would be appropriate. Exactly.

You want to work with your doctor to agree that you will have a support system in place during the discontinuation process. That means people who are close to you who will be monitoring you. And that you will give the doctor a release of information form for them so that they can be in touch with the doctor to update him/her if they spot any disorientation or instability.

Those are the symptoms you'd be most concerned about. Therefore, having people who you trust that will monitor you is crucial. The other types of symptoms, such as some lightheadedness or nausea or sleep issues for a few days up to 2 weeks are okay. But again, you want monitoring to make sure it doesn't all get progressively worse.

So, with a support system in place you could discuss this with your doctor. Or if you feel more comfortable leaving things as they are because it's stable at the moment with the meds, then that is okay as well.

I wish you the very best!

Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience: Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice