Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

to a psychiatrist: I have a question that I need answered by a psychia

Customer Question

I have a question that I need answered by a psychiatrist with extensive experience in psychopharmacotherapy (medication management).

I am 37 male, I was on Lexapro 60 MG for 5 years consistently. I suddenly stopped it completely on my own several weeks ago due to my total dissatisfaction with my psychiatrist in terms of leaving me on 60 MG for so long and even though I was still having a lot of issues, I didn't fee he gave me proper care, so I dropped him. I also recently went through a lot by dropping out of a startup business with my brother due to a lot fights and my brother humiliating me.

Now, since I stopped I have been slowly been starting to feel worse and worse, slowly not being able to do day to day things and my brain not being able to make decisions, until this past weekend I completely broke down since my parents invited my brother of which I was in the business with (Which I don't talk to) I was having suicidal thoughts, I was crying and shaking and not being able to get out of bed. Lucky I told my parents which I live with, they found Columbia outpatient-expert care/Comprehensive Evaluations dept. but it will take time to get an appointment. Until then they brought me to a general doctor who prescribed me the following which I am questioning and need help with:
1/2 MG lorazopam (Ativan) twice during day. 1 MG alprazolam(Xanax) for sleep.

Now I am not sure if this is ok? Also, I am still not feeling good.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr Vikas : Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.
Dr Vikas : Lorazepam and Alprazolam are benzodiazepines which can have relaxing and calming effect and can help in sleeping however being a benzodiazepines, they can cause sedation during the day time also.
Dr Vikas : It is evident that you are severely depressed and you need an antidepressant to control your symptoms. You probably responded well to Lexapro as you took it for 5 years so this time also, you can request your doctor to start either Lexapro or Zoloft again and most likely you will notice a good improvement in your symptoms within the next 2 weeks.
Dr Vikas : The other possible option is to try Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) and you can discuss with your doctor about it also.
Dr Vikas : Apart from medicines, psychotherapy, specially Cognitive Behavior Therapy can also be a good option in your case right now.
Dr Vikas : Cognitive Behavior Therapy can bring long lasting benefit in your thinking pattern and the resultant depression and negativity.
Dr Vikas : You can try free online CBT via the website link given below.
Dr Vikas : https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome
Dr Vikas : I hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further if you have any other query or doubt in your mind.
Dr Vikas : Kind regards
Dr Vikas : Vikas
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Did not answer my question I asked.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Hello Josehp,

I have not yet finished answering your question and I am waiting for your reply so that we can discuss further.

Kind regards

Vikas
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Your question was,

" Until then they brought me to a general doctor who prescribed me the following which I am questioning and need help with:
1/2 MG lorazopam (Ativan) twice during day. 1 MG alprazolam(Xanax) for sleep."
I am not sure if this is ok? Also, I am still not feeling good.

and my answer was, that these two medicines can help in sleeping and relaxing a bit but will not help in depressive symptoms for which you will be needing an antidepressant.

If you want to know about something else, please reply so that we can discuss further.

Kind regards

Vikas