Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Whats wrong here?

Customer Question

I'm 22 years old and sometimes i feel very confident because I'm fluent, and feel physically well, and "all there" but at other times I feel "not all there" spaced out a little my memory is bad especially when trying to have conversations with people, remembering what we talked about, etc, and other times I'm very talkative and fluent, what's up here?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear friend,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I believe that I can help you.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Since you are not online now, instead of asking you questions, I will give you the official diagnostic criteria for mania, which is one of the two poles of bipolar disorder, the other pole being depression.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : These criteria come from the psychiatric manual called the DSM-IV.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You seem to have some of the criteria, quite plainly. What do you think? Here it is:
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Mania DSM-IVA) A distinct period of abnormally and persistently elevated, expansive or irritable mood, lasting at least 1 week (or any duration if hospitalization is necessary)B) During the period of mood disturbance, three (or more) of the following symptoms have persisted (four if the mood is only irritable) and have been present to a significant degree:1) inflated self-esteem or grandiosity2) decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep)3) more talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking4) flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing5) distractibility (i.e., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli)6) increase in goal-directed activity (at work, at school, or sexually) or psychomotor agitation7) excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g., engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments)C) The symptoms do not meet criteria for a Mixed EpisodeD) The mood disturbance is sufficiently severe to cause marked impairment in occupational functioning or in usual social activities or relationships with others, or to necessitate hospitalization to prevent harm to self or others, or there are psychotic features.E) The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance or a general medical condition.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : The clues for me are that you become very talkative and feel fluent and confident; sometimes you get distracted and have memory troubles.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : It is very possible that you have have bipolar disorder but I would have to you discuss this with you further, which we can do when you get back on lined.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Please read those criteria closely, as they will help you make a determination.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If you wish to get back to me, do not hesitate.
Customer : Hello, I actually thought about that because I'm taking an abnormal psychology class in school, and when they discussed bipolar I felt somewhat but not entirely related.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Do you get racing thoughts?
Customer : I'm not sure, can you give me an example of racing thoughts?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Lots of ideas flying through your head, with not enough time to focus, for example.
Customer : No, not really. I don't think.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Do you have exaggerated self-esteem?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : At times
Customer : I think my self esteem is quite stable
Customer : Not the best of self esteem but not the worst either
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Do you ever feel super-great or super - high like you are totally on top of the world?
Customer : Umm, idk I wouldn't say top of the world great just normal
Customer : it all depends on my ability to express my thoughts and feelings I think
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Do you ever become extremely talkative?
Customer : No
Customer : i can pause and listen when necessary
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : So your main symptom is occasional distractability to the point where you lose the thread of the conversation
Customer : Actually I'm a very good listener, just that my memory and ability to recall exactly what we discuss and talk about during conversation is very poor and is frustrating
Customer : Yes something like that
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : So sometimes you have trouble being the good listener that you are capable of being at other times.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Do you ever feel depressed?
Customer : Yeah like my friend will tell me what his friend told him exactly word by word and I'm thinking how on earth is he able to remember everything they told him.
Customer : Last time my manager at work asked me to tell her what happened with a coworker and I was trying to remember exactly what happened and why we had an argument but I couldn't remember I don't know what it was but I kept loosing my train of thought
Customer : In the end I did remember what happened but trying to put it into words was a real struggle
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : So, do you feel depressed?
Customer : Depression, not really, I feel sad at times, but it never stops me from living life or doing things I like doing
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : So your chief problem is staying focused.
Customer : Yeah, maybe. Lately I have been putting off doing homework and studying until the last minute.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Are these symmptoms recent?
Customer : Yes
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : It is very possible that you have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, the Predominantly Inattentive Type.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You do not have bipolar disorder.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Your symptoms closely match ADHD.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : How are you at organizing things?
Customer : I'm not organized to an extreme point but I'm also not disorganized. Idk if that helps any
Customer : I keep important files in a file cabinet, my closet is semi color organized so i guess I'm not that bad
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You said that you had trouble always following a conversation.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : How are you at completing chores? At following instructions?
Customer : Hmm, not always, just when I'm stressed out, anxious, nervous, etc.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : And you are forgetful?
Customer : Sometimes, when my manager tells me how something is going to proceed, like the plan, I have hard time following and ill ask her to repeat it for me or I try to really pay a lot of attention because she causes me anxiety
Customer : I struggle a lot finding the right word at times, I forget what someone talked about with me but if I try really hard ill remember
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I urge you to see your physician and ask him or her to assess you for ADHD and if give you the proper medication to help you focus/
Customer : I'm sorry that this conversation is so scattered, I don't think I have any mental disorder, just that my episodic memory really blows. I went to the physician already and she said I'm healthy and to not worry so much.
Customer : But I wish I could talk like the people on the radio or tv, so eloquently and fluently, it just feels like it shouldn't be so hard
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Then you could take some courses in public speaking or broadcast epeaking
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Where did you go?
Customer : I'm still here. Do you think anxiety can cause forgetfulness?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Yes it can.
Customer : I think I have my anxiety under control, I can keep calm in social situations now and before it would make me really nervous to the point of blacking out, heart palpitations shaky hands.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : That is panic attacks.
Customer : Now I don't get too nervous, but I still struggle with finding the fit words, or explaining something to somebody, it's a real hassle.
Customer : Sometimes when I say ok I'm determined to explain this, I will explain it not as fluently as I wish but it gets through.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You may have social anxeity
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Sometimes it gets so bad that you get the panic reaction of palpitations.
Customer : I work at a restaurant as a server and I interact with people everyday
Customer : Just that when it comes to explaining things to certain managers at specific times I feel uncertain and I have to amp up my confidence before doing it
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Social anxiety
Customer : I looked that up to but I'm not afraid of humiliation or embarrassment
Customer : I've learned that that's a part of life sometimes and I deal with it with a sense of humor
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Then you don't really have any significant problems.
Customer : Any tips on how I can improve my episodic memory, Elliott?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Get your anxiety under control.
Customer : How can I become adept at telling stories?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : That's easy.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Here is the perfect book for you:
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller by John Truby
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Let me find the link for it:
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : http://www.amazon.com/The-Anatomy-Story-Becoming-Storyteller/dp/0865479933/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369120092&sr=8-2&keywords=how+to+become+a+story+teller
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : That is a great book and will make a story teller out of you.
Customer : Thanks
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You will be a good one.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : How else can I help you?
Customer : That's for play writers or screen writers though
Customer : I can barely keep track of a long sentences let alone plays
Customer : Thanks for the help anyways
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You mean the 90 minutes that I gave you?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : How about this book if the other is too much for you: The Fine Art of Small Talk: How To Start a Conversation, Keep It Going, Build Networking Skills -- and Leave a... by Debra Fine
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : http://www.amazon.com/The-Fine-Art-Small-Talk/dp/1401302262/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1369120672&sr=8-3&keywords=the+art+of+conversation