Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

Is it possible for an ssri like sertraline to help someone

Customer Question

Is it possible for an ssri like sertraline to help someone when depressed to be then hypomanic months later and have it then induce serotonin syndrome?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.

Dr Vikas : Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you.
Dr Vikas : SSRI antidepressant can indeed cause hypomania in a patient who is depressed and this is known as antidepressant induced hypomania / mania.
Dr Vikas : Usually Sertraline alone does not cause serotonin syndrome in normally prescribed doses of 50-200 mg per day but when combined with other antidepressant like MAO inhibitor or Tricyclic antidepressant for example can cause serotonin syndrome.
Dr Vikas : If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.