RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

I spoke to my sons nurse today and she said that my son had

I spoke to my son's nurse today and she said that my son had been suffering from psychotic episodes but he had not told them that he had hallucinations. His brother mentioned hallucinations. The son who is ill said that he will now have to tell the differance between what is real and what is not. Yesterday he felt that the medication they are giving him was helping him to do that. Today the nurse said that he is doing much better and tomorrow will be released and will do intensive outpatient therapy. He will be coming to stay with me for at least a couple of weeks to see how he is doing and make decisions about the best choices for his future to try and keep stress reduced from his life. There is still no firm diagnosis as far as I know. I am wondering in case there are any incidents, what is the differance from a psychotic episode and not knowing what is real as compared to a hallucination?

Rafael M.T.Therapist : Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).
Rafael M.T.Therapist : I am sorry to know about your son's mental health condition.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : Hallucinations are one type of very common psychotic symptoms, present in different mental health disorders or illnesses, which are about the person's experience of hearing, seeing or perceiving through any other sense things that do not truly exist, things that are not real.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : A psychotic episode is the experience where the person has one or more psychotic symptoms, which could include hallucinations, delusions, disturbed ideation and or very poor understanding or awareness of any aspect of reality. Thus a person coudl ahve a psychotic episode without hallucinations but with any other of these core symptoms, all of which undermine, in different ways, the person's ability to assess and understand reality.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : Now it would be very important to know what led your son to develop these psychotic episodes, since the origin could be very diverse, from use of drugs to depression, trauma, a medical condition and more. From an accurate diagnosis, a sound treatment plan is built, while without having a good understanding of the origin and nature of the psychotic disorder would not allow the professionals to provide adequate and ethical support - treatment.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : Does it make sense?
Customer: Yes, it does and I believe that when we do get a diagnosis it will likely be due to depression.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : Good. I hope he could get adequate and competent support soon, from a sound diagnosis to necessary treatment. Thank you for your trust. Please feel free to contact me back to follow up as necessary. Thanks.