Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

My son is in the hospital suffering from hallucinations. I

My son is in the hospital suffering from hallucinations. I just found out that a few months ago he work up one day and couldn't remember how to do his job. Could this be associated with his present condition or should they be checking out physical problems as well.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear friend,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I have been giving this a lot of thought.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Are you there and able to respond?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I would like to ask some questions.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Your son's memory lapse is a big clue that may be significant.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : This kind of lapse may be what is called Dissociative Amnesia.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Has your son experienced any trauma? Was he in the military?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Was he severely bullied?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Was he in a bad accident?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Was he abducted, kidnapped, or help hostage?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Did he witness a horrific accident or other event?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Is there anything that you could think of in his past that would possibly indicate trauma?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : A serious illness?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If you are not available now I will save this chat and get back to you.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If the answer is YES, he was traumatized, then I will go on with my logical approach.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : This disorder is not particularly related to either schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, but rather to extreme anxiety that was produced by psychological or emotional trauma.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I will save and exit, which will facilitate you getting back to me. I may not respond immediately as I have several waiting for me, but I shall respond. I want to help you get to the bottom of this. You are doing the right thing as his family. In this case your stress is doing good. We call that eustress.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : We shall hopefully talk later.
Customer: I don't know of any trauma, he went through a difficult time after his father passed away but that was about 6 years ago. He had been feeling stress related to work but to me this would seem rather extreme. I am concerned that there might be something physical and hope that he has told the doctor about this. I will check with him tomorrow.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Thank you for getting back.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : It is possible that something happened that he either does not remember or he has help back.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : A person with trauma could develop Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, which could give hallucinations (often related to the stress), or bad dreams, flashbacks, anxiety, panic attacks, and dissociative amnesia.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Something that happened long ago, even, could emerge after years. Post trauma.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : This is something to consider.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Find out the nature of his hallucinations as they may offer a clue.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Warm regards,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Elliott