Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

If my son does receive the most serious diagnosis of schiophrenia

If my son does receive the most serious diagnosis of schiophrenia and I agree I would want a second opinion, I have heard that sometimes after many years, I think about twenty the symptoms of the disease can decrease somewhat. Have you ever heard of this?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear friend,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I understand how worried you are about your son, and you are already beginning to think of what MAY happen in the future IF you son is diagnosed with schizophrenia, and then if the diagnosis is confirmed and the symptoms continue.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : It is understandable to think this way but it is very unhealthy for your own well being and will not further your son's recovery. In fact, this is the time for your son to see you strong and on top of things. He will sense your anxiety and it will only increase his own.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I am sorry for giving advice before answering you question but your own well-being is important to all of the family.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : A recent study using strict recovery criteria (concurrent remission of positive and negative symptoms and adequate social and vocational functioning continuously for two years) demonstrated a recovery rate of 14% within the first five years. Another study done over five years showed that that 62% showed overall improvement on a composite measure of clinical and functional outcomes.