Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

does deep depression cloud your OKMH519211postanswer

does deep depression cloud your judgement and make you make decisions you normally would not
Thanks for your question,

Depression can certainly cloud a person's judgment, and often times a person who is depressed will make very different decisions than they would when they are not depressed. Some people do not even realize that they are depressed or that their decision making skills are compromised, so often times just being aware of this and making a conscious effort to work on the depression and make better decisions can be a big help. Studies have shown that the best way to treat severe depression is the combination of medication and counseling, and if treated properly you should start to see some noticeable improvements in decision making. I hope that I've been able to answer your question and definitely wish you the best. If there is anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you- does this mean decisions involving who you may contact and relationship choices? when I was in my depression I saw someone I normally wouldn't see- a bad x-boyfriend of mine- I can't believe I saw him!
I'm glad I could help. Depression can affect decision making in almost every aspect of a person's life. This is particularly true with relationships or situations that involve a lot of emotions, so it is not terribly uncommon to make decisions that you would regret later on, even if you managed to convince yourself it was a good idea at the time. Sometimes the best thing you can do is to try and learn from those types of experiences and remind yourself of that when you start feeling tempted in that way again. Hang in there,

Hi again, I never heard back from you so I hope that I was able to help you out. If there's anything else I can do to help please let me know, otherwise if you wouldn't mind leaving me a positive review for my time I'd really appreciate it. Thanks,