Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I have found out that my son is on medication to help with

I have found out that my son is on medication to help with hallucinations, after about 4 days he is now beginning to be able to tell the differance about what is real and what is not. I have also been told that since this is a first time episode they will take time, even maybe as an outpatient to give an actual diagnosis. I guess they feel that no matter what, it is the fact that the medication is helping. Still, it is a great concern to know if it is bipolar, schizoaffective disorder or schizophrenia. The first episode was during a manic state. I would imagine that they will advise him whether or not he can return to work or not or what he should be doing upon his release. I am assuming that reduction in any stress in his life would be important no matter what. Would this seem like the usual approach to this type of situation. Also would it have been stress that triggered any of these episodes.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear friend,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I believe that I can help.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : The largest treatment study of bipolar disorder ever done showed that there was a comorbidity (both occurring at once) between bipolar disorder and anxiety. more than 50@ comorbidity, in fact.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : 50%
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If your son is medicated (probably with antipsychotic medication or mood stabilizer) and perhaps with antianxiety medication as well, he will probably be able to go back to work.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Missing work, or being stigmatized at work, may be more stressful then just going back. It should be up to your son. If he thinks he can handle it then he should go back and not "inflate" the concern over his mental well-being.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : For the purpose of giving you some reassurance, let me tell you about one of my two supervisors during my internship. He was a young, very effective psychiatrist, and had been the chief resident in psychiatry at a major teaching hospital. He was brilliant, steady, effective, and beloved.HE HAD BIPOLAR DISORDER. He was under treatment by his own psychiatrist. I saw him for hours every day with patients. He was always steady and solid. He took his medications everyday.When a new bipolar patient would come into his office he would say, with a smile, "Welcome to the club".I tell this to instill hope and confidence.I am not a big promoter of psychotropic drugs, but sometimes they make a huge difference.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Let them CAREFULLY diagnose your son. Sometimes extreme anxiety can cause hallucinations without there being either bipolar or schizophrenia. That is why second opinions are necessary.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I wish you great success and shall keep your family in my prayers.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Warm regards,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Thank you so much. May God bless your family.