Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Since mania can be a sign of bipolar but since my son had mania

Since mania can be a sign of bipolar but since my son had mania and hallucinations and is now not making as much eye contact as normal does this mean he is more likely to be diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder that bipolar depression?
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer !

Well let me clarify your doubt, presence of poor eye to eye contact /lateral gaze is suggestive of schizophrenia like picture but due to the prior occurrence of manic episode it suggested of mood disorder like picture mainly bipolar disorder. So upon summing up the overall symptoms your son has a mixture of mood symptoms (manic)and schizophrenic symptoms ( lateral gaze/poor eye to eye contact), which in a formal diagnosis is best described by Schizoaffective disorder.

Although prognosis of schizoaffective disorder is slightly poor as compared that of bipolar disorder butt is far better than the prognosis of schizophrenia.

I hope this helps to clear the air regarding your conundrum.

Wish you and your son all the best.