Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Hello, thank you for your assistens. Going from citalopram

Hello, thank you for your assistens.

Going from citalopram to 5HTP

I am diagnozed PTSD, posttraumatic stress disorder after a burning accident/oxplosion.

I have been taking citalopram on a daily basis (40 mg) for almost a year. I do not generally wish to take presciption drugs, and take a lot of natural supplements on a daily basis, among others cordyceps and L-Theanin to control cortisol levels.

Now I had an incident with muscle spasms in my arm, and imedeatly went from 40 mg citalopram to 20 mg per day, 10 days ago. Yesterday I stopped citalopram completely.

My question now is; how long do I have to be clean from citalopram, before I can start taken 5HTP?

Thank you in advance

Kindest Louise
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr Vikas : Hello Louise,
Dr Vikas : I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.
Dr Vikas : Citalopram is completely cleared out from the body approximately within 5-10 days after the last dose taken. This is a rough estimate and may slightly vary from patients to patients depending on his or her medical and physical condition.
Dr Vikas : Once the medicine is completely out from the body, your doctor can start prescribing you 5HTP from the very next day itself.
Dr Vikas : My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.Please take a moment to rate the answer.Kind regardsVikas
Customer: Thank you very much Dr. Vikas.
Customer: Will my intake of cordyceps sinensis wich I heard is a MAO Inhibitor be ok with 5HTP?
Customer: ... and was it really ok combining cordyceps and citalopram?
Dr Vikas : Hello Louise,
Dr Vikas : MAO inhibitors should be totally avoided while taking a SSRI antidepressant or any other product which can increase serotonin level in brain as there is a risk of serotonin syndrome with any such combination.
Dr Vikas : Serotonin syndrome is a life threatening syndrome as you must be aware of.
Dr Vikas : So if you are taking a MAO inhibitor it is best to avoid any other natural / herbal product which can increase serotonin level in brain in my view.
Dr Vikas : if is you still intend to take any such combination, this should be done only under your doctor supervision.
Dr Vikas : instead of medicines, you can consider the option of trying Psychotherapy specially Cognitive Behavior Therapy.
Dr Vikas : you can try free online CBT via this website given below.
Dr Vikas : https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome
Customer: Thank you Dr. Vikas
Dr Vikas : You are most welcome
Dr Vikas : do you have any other question to ask?
Customer: As I understand, cordyceps sinensis has a significant effect on the dopamin and norephedrin but not the serotonin. I have been taking cordyceps sinensis now since year 2000. Do you think it would be a problem to combine it with 5HTP?
Customer: Kindest Louise
Dr Vikas : MAO inhibitors blocks MAO enzyme from breaking down norepinephrine, dopamine and serotonin neurotransmitters thus increasing the concentration of serotonin. Now if any other product which increases the serotonin concentration in brain is taken additionally, the concentration of serotonin can increase manifold in the brain.
Customer: Ok, thanks
Customer: I take the chance with the combination cordyceps and 5HTP. I have 10 years ago made the combination and felt very well, but the company Pharmanex wich is my supplier discontinued the production of the 5HTP for some reason, and I did not back then dare to buy it from another company, because of disstrust regarding quality. .. any way, I do prefer now to take the risk with another natural supplement supplier as I am afraid of continuing with citalopram
Dr Vikas : in that case, I request you to take your doctor consent and do it under your doctor supervision so that he can screen you for the possibility of serotonin syndrome if required because although serotonin syndrome is not very commonly seen in clinical practice but is life threatening.
Dr Vikas : If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.
Dr Vikas : Please take a moment to rate the answer.
Dr Vikas : Kind regards
Dr Vikas : Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics