Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Right now my son says his brother seems like a differant person

Right now my son says his brother seems like a differant person and he doesn't think this will ever change after a psychotic episode he had last week. My question is if he is diagnosed with schizpaffective disorder with mania and goes on medication for this will he likely seem more like himself again or could he be differant from now on?

Rafael M.T.Therapist : Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).
Rafael M.T.Therapist : I am very sorry to know about your son's mental health condition.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : If what he really has is a disorder like schizoaffective disorder, then his life has already changed and it would not be the same as before this mental illness. This illness do not just suddenly arises but has a process, which gradually or abruptly leads to the core symptoms we identify with it, and when that happens, the person's life changes in drastic ways, and would not be the same as before.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : As with most mental illnesses, there is no cure known but there is always hope for rehabilitation as long as the person gets necessary personal and professional support.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : There is much we still unknown about schizoaffective disorder, since it is a complex condition that presents core symptoms of schizophrenia and others from mood disorders. Psychiatric drugs cannot cure any mental disorder or illness, but can bring some relief to people presenting psychotic disorders, avoiding serious crisis and hospitalizations, But again, rehabilitation mostly depends on how good treatment he receives, namely, psychotherapeutic and behavioral support, plus healthy help fro his support system: family and close friends.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : Does it make sense?
Customer: Yes but it is scary. I would guess that fact that he had mania and hallucintations would likely mean that this is what he has rather than bipolar disorder. He also had memory problems about two months ago. He woke up one day and couldn't remember how to do his job. I feel so badly thinking that maybe if he had been on antidepressants or something for anxiety that it might not have gotten to this point.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : Thank you for replying.
Rafael M.T.Therapist : Please do not feel bad about something you could not control. Again, psychiatric drugs cannot cure nor prevent mental illness, but real life, healthy and supportive experiences do make the difference, and now it's time for him to get the best possible support to start his rehabilitation process.