Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

Considering the medications that my son is likely to be placed

Considering the medications that my son is likely to be placed on, will he be able to drive in the future, driving is his life

Dr Vikas : Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you.
Dr Vikas : Is it possible for you to mention his diagnosis and medicines?
Customer: There hasn't been a diagnosis yet but I highly suspect he will be diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. Last week he went four days without sleep, seemed to suffer from mania and was also hallucinating. He thinks he only had a couple of drinks that night but his memory is just returning and I don't know if more alcohol was involved or not. He has an uncle with schizoprenia. My son has visited him in the hospital and is concerned that the brother he knew is now gone forever. He as been in the hospital for four days now.
Dr Vikas : Thanks for your reply.
Dr Vikas : Considering his possible diagnosis, most likely he will be kept on antipsychotics. There are several antipsychotics which are not sedative and very useful in patients involved in profession like driving and his doctor can prescribe him these medicines.
Dr Vikas : For example, one such medicine is Aripiprazole (Abilify) which is an activating antipsychotic and a very good mood stabilizer too. This medicine can be a good option in his case for maintenance treatment once his acute psychotic symptoms are under control.
Dr Vikas : So you need not to worry to much about it as his doctor will prescribe him medicines keeping several factors in mind including his profession.
Dr Vikas : My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.Please take a moment to rate the answer.Kind regardsVikas