DrToni, Psychologist
Experience:  I am a licensed Psychologist in New York State. I have been doing clinical work and research since 2005.

Hi, I am concerned about privacy. I am 25 and I suffer from

Hi, I am concerned about privacy. I am 25 and I suffer from depression, and I wish to see someone. But, I would strongly prefer that my family be not involved. The last time I saw someone my mother wrote her a letter behind my back. I find this burdensome and mettlesome. Is there anything I can do to prevent any practitioner from staying away from her.

DrToni : Hello, my name isXXXXX and I'd like to help you with your question. First, I want to commend you for seeking treatment. If you are an adult, then no one should be involved in your treatment unless you want them to be involved. Your therapist would have to keep your information confidential and would not even be able to confirm whether you are a client. That being said, the therapist can't stop your mother from calling and leaving messages or writing a letter. This is a conversation that you would have to have with your therapist to come to an agreement. I also want to make sure that you understand confidentiality can be broken if you are perceived to be a danger to yourself or others.
DrToni : It will be important to bring up this issue with your therapist and look at the options such as the therapist not returning phone messages or telling her that the therapist can neither confirm nor deny if you are a client.
DrToni : If a letter is mailed to the therapist, that would be the therapist's property. The therapist could read it and wouldn't be able to respond if you do not sign a waiver.
DrToni : I hope this hasp been helpful. Please let me know if I can provide additional information. Otherwise, please rate my service. Regards.
DrToni : Hello, I wanted to follow up and see if there is additional information that I can provide. Regards.