Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Thank-you for your words of encouragement I really need them.

Thank-you for your words of encouragement I really need them. I just wonder if you would happen to know if the lack of eye contact would mean that the diagnosis is more likely to be schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder rather than bipolar disorder. He has an uncle with schizpphrenia and so I am very worried that this will be the diagnosis. However he did seem to have been in a manic state prior to his admission to hospital. I did find out that they are giving him some medicine right now but have not told him what the diagnosis is.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well the lateral gaze ( no eye to eye contact ) that you are talking about is seen in schizophrenic patients but with the occurrence of manic episode just prior to admission , his most likely diagnosis seems to be Schizoaffective disorder which holds a better prognosis / outcome as compared to schizophrenia.

Yes I can see that there is some genetic loading with his uncle being schizophrenic but that should not necessarily lead to the same diagnosis in your son's case.

Also look for rapid recovery in symptoms within a span of few days to weeks if the diagnosis is on the lines of schizoaffective disorder ( it is a condition which entails characteristic features of both bipolar disorder and schizophrenia and holds a good prognosis) but also expect a possible fluctuating course of illness over span of few weeks to months

Also I may add here that in roughly / approximately 1/3 patients of schizophrenia the symptoms are well controlled while in roughly another 1/3 patients there is a relapsing and remitting picture and there are approximately 1/3 patients who never undergo remission. So the whole point of divulging on this information is that if God forbid your son comes up with the diagnosis of schizophrenia , even then there are roughly 2/3 chances to control his symptoms to a greater extent, so please do not loose hope.

However as per your narration his diagnosis appears to be more on the diagnosis of Schizoaffective disorder.

I hope this gives you hope and encouragement.

Please continue with your efforts to stand by your son at this time of need and I pray that he comes out of this condition fully recovered and functional.

Wish you all the best.