Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

My son is in the hospital with likely bipolar disorder or schizophrenai

My son is in the hospital with likely bipolar disorder or schizophrenai or schizoaffective disorder. I have been ill and unable to see him. He is not yet on medication for whatever the diagnosis will be. His brother has been to visit him twice and has had a girlfriend with bipolar disorder. Although not trying to frighten me he said that he felt that I should be prepared that I might not see my ill son the same again after his psychotic episode. He can't put it into words but said that it is his mannerisms and that he looks away more rather than at him when he visits. This is breaking my heart and I just wonder if it is likely that this is the case or could there be improvement once he is on medication to treat his disease.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer !

I am sorry to learn about your son's condition and I empathize with you.

You see psychosis is s serious ,often long standing psychiatric condition which compromises one's quality of life, so at the present moment when your son is in full blown psychotic phase it is but natural for your other son to feel such rush of emotions after seeing his brother in such an unprecedented state.
However one should not forget the fact at present, medications have not been tried and I must mention here that there are various effective drugs which have been used successfully for controlling such psychotic episodes and rendering the patient symptom free. Some of such effective drugs include zyprexa (olanzapine) or risperdal (risperidone ) or abilify (aripiprazole).

So although psychotic conditions are stubborn to manage with frequent relapses and recurrences but right drug regime raises chances for such patient's recovery , so I will encourage you to not to loose hope without even trying. There is a good enough possibility for him to respond to drugs irrespective of his present mental status , so kindly stop jumping to any hasty conclusions and tell the same to his brother to not to loose hope and as soon as possible get him started on the drug regime and all along try to keep a positive mindset as it really helps the patient's recovery when he has got a good moral and family support.

I hope this helps you to gather courage to help your son to overcome his illness.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then I will be credited for my service.