Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I recently change pharmacies and the generic brand of Sertraline

I recently change pharmacies and the generic brand of Sertraline (100mg) is different. I have been it since 05/11/13 and am having some strange symptoms. I am getting very cold and shivering uncontrollably and can't get warm even with massive amounts of blankets. Then I get so hot and sweaty and can't get cool. I have had a headache for the last two days. And this seems totally unrelated but I have had blood when I have a bowel movement. Today I am very anxious as well. All of these things started at the same time. Could this be a side effect of switching manufacturers of this med.?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear friend,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I believe that I can help you. There has been much anecdotal evidence to indicate that there may be a difference in sertraline.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Can you please tell me the name of the manufacturer of your sertraline; it is on the bottle..
Customer: Invagen Pharmaceuticals Inc
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I have not seen anything on that manufacturer, but I do know that the best manufacturer is Greenstone (owned by the people who manufacture Zoloft) and there are no apparent side effects. Others have complained about similar symptoms (except for the bleeding) with other manufacturers such as Camber and Northstar.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : It is quite possible that these side effects will disappear if you can get hold of generics made by Greenstone.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Let me see if I can find where they are distributed.
Customer: I have always gotten mine from Kmart as it was the cheapest in my area. However when we moved I did not have a local Kmart so I switched to Walmart.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Greenstone is manufactured by Pfizer. CVS used to carry it, and I understand that they can probably order it for you. You should call around and see who has it.
Customer: Thank you so much for your help.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I can give you a link where different users discuss their problems with generics, and one Harvard Professor (who probably never took it) says they are all the same.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I believe that this problem is real and not imagined because of the difference in fillers.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I shall keep you in my prayers.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Warm regards,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : and one more link of interest:
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :
Customer: Again, thank you so much. I had a problem several years ago with switching pharmacies but the symptoms where totally different. I switched back.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I wish you success in finding the one that helps. Probably Greenstone.
Customer: Have a wonderful weekend.