TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

My son began having memory problems a couple of months ago.

My son began having memory problems a couple of months ago. This past week he went four days without sleep, was feeling invincible and walked into the E.R. of a hospital. He has been hallucinating. Would this indicate any condition and if so is it likely to be a lifelong condition requiring medication. They haven't put him on medication yet, just something to help him sleep.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like your son might have either Bipolar disorder or Schizoaffective disorder. In order for your son to have Schizoaffective disorder, the symptoms he has now would need to last six months or more and he would need to experience hallucinations even when his mood is normal. However, if his moods alter and he experiences the symptoms he has now along with hallucinations, then it is most likely Bipolar.

The best way to tell what is going on with your son is to have him see a therapist for a full evaluation. A therapist can determine exactly what your son's diagnosis is and recommend appropriate treatment.

No matter which diagnosis your son might have, medications can help. He would most likely need these medications for the rest of his life. Lithium is the best medication for Bipolar. With Schizoaffective, anti psychotics are the best option. Your son, if diagnosed with either disorder, would benefit from seeing a psychiatrist who is a doctor that specializes in psychiatric disorders.

Here are resources to help you learn more about Bipolar and Schizoaffective:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/bipolar_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=23043

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Thank you so much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate it.

My best to you and your son,
Kate