Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

Are random thoughts considered the same as audible voices in

Are random thoughts considered the same as audible voices in the case of paranoid schizophrenia? While I experience random thoughts that comment on what I am doing etc, I don't hear voices so to speak.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr Vikas : Hello
Customer: Hi :)
Dr Vikas : Auditory hallucinations means a patient is able to clearly hear his or her voice from his / her ears and the voice is coming from external world / surrounding.
Dr Vikas : are you able to hear your thoughts?
Customer: Not audibly. They are just thoughts that comment on what I am thinking or doing.
Dr Vikas : then I don't think this will come under auditory hallucinations.
Dr Vikas : or audible voices
Customer: :) Okay, so there is another explanation. Last week I went to a psychologist and he sent me home to research dissociative disorder and schizophrenia to see if I identified with either. I didn't identify with dissociative disorder but I did become alarmed by the description of paranoid schizophrenia because I have lots of random thoughts that comment or threaten me or things like that.
Dr Vikas : See Paranoid Schizophrenia is diagnosed by the presence of a certain diagnostic criteria.
Dr Vikas : I am recommending you a link from Royal college of psychiatrist London regarding Schizophrenia. Please just go through it once and then we can discuss further if you still have any other query.
Dr Vikas : do you want me to give you this link?
Customer: Yes please. Thank you.
Dr Vikas : please wait
Dr Vikas : http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/expertadvice/problemsdisorders/schizophrenia.aspx
Customer: Thank you so much.
Dr Vikas : please go through this link and then we will discuss further.
Dr Vikas : :)
Customer: Thank you so much for this article. It has been very helpful, especially in relation to audible voices. :)
Customer: I have to admit that I did hear a female say my name when I was waking up the other morning but I thought it may have been related to me being still half asleep. Does this sound normal? Other than that, like I said, I don't hear audible voices.
Customer: re: visual hallucinations, about 2 months ago I saw a black "shape" in the house during the night that I guess I interpreted as evil spirits. I saw it probably 5 or 6 times over a 3-4 week period. I haven't seen it again. What would be your response to this?
Customer: PS I was unable to get another appointment with my psychologist for another 2.5 weeks and I wasn't sure if I needed to see someone sooner.
Customer: Hi, I am still here :
Dr Vikas : OK,
Dr Vikas : just a minute
Dr Vikas : please
Customer: No problem!
Dr Vikas : Hearing your name while waking is not very significant if it occurs occasionally.
Customer: Great!
Dr Vikas : and what you experienced (seeing image or black shape) could be an illusion also.
Dr Vikas : plus, you are having excellent insight regarding your symptoms which is a very good sign and psychotic illness like Schizophrenia can be ruled out currently in your case.
Dr Vikas : so need not to worry much :)
Customer: Thank you! :) I guess I will just wait until I see the psychologist again and I can tell him what I have told you and we can take it from there.
Dr Vikas : :)
Customer: In the meantime, thank you for your reassurance today. I am so grateful.
Dr Vikas : You are most welcome.
Dr Vikas : My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.Please take a moment to rate the answer.Kind regardsVikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics