Jean
Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
66147936

Hello,I have already spoke with OKMH0517503

I have already spoke with a medical expert on the site and am seeking more advice. I have issues with my vision, I randomly see a small prism like thing at night between 8-9pm. I've had a full physical, am in great shape, workout all week, and even had an eye exam last week (I have 20/20 vision and no retinal or any other problems). No doctors seem concerned, but it is annoying and a little scary. It's only in my right eye, only at 8ish pm when the light is bad outside and only in certain lights in my house. No other symptoms and it only lasts a few seconds and when I look away it's gone or fades. It's in the same spot and sort of prism-ish. No doctors seemed concerned and have told me that extreme exhaustion and anxiety are the perfect storm for this. I do have pretty bad anxiety (it runs in my family) and panic attacks more frequently in the last few months and have a 1 and 3 year who are non stop. I am often very stressed and don’t sleep well, waking up sometimes 6-7 times a night. Other info, my dad is morbidly obese and my mom died of cancer a few years ago the week I found out I was pregnant - so I am dealing with that AND working from home, raising two kids, etc... any suggestions as to what I should try to get these to stop ? Because my mother died when I was pregnant I did not have time to mourn. There are times when I am on the verge of tears because I miss my mom, and am sad that she isn’t here to see my children grow. Is it possible my vision issues are related to me mourning my mom? What should I do? Please share any advice you have. Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the moderator for this topic. I've been trying to find a professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Camille - Moderator

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, that is fine. Thank you

Thank you ….hopefully it won’t take too much longer for me to find the right professional for you! Please don't respond to this as it may prevent the professionals from accessing your question. You will receive an email when your professional has responded. If you want to cancel, please let me know, and I will do that for you. Thank you for your continued patience.

Camille

Expert:  Jean replied 1 year ago.
Hello, sorry to keep you waiting. It's very interesting to me and those of us in the mental health field how many emotional issues manifest physically. Anxiety is one of those things that tend to hit us physically. There's lots of stress hormones that kick in when we are anxious. Children are often seen in counseling because they have gone to the doctor for stomach aches, headaches- nothing physical found, such as for you.

You are on to something with the grief and loss related to the traumatic loss of your mother. Close to tears- allow those tears, keeping that in can cause ongoing physical issues, including trouble sleeping.

It's very intriguing that this happens at a certain time at night. You describe it as a small prism-ish thing. May that be your mind "projecting" in order for you to take notice. Our bodies start to talk to us when overwhelmed, stressed, and anxious.

Consider journal writing before that time when the prism appears- that sound sort of magical at the same time. Give that prism a place to process, that may include crying, grieving. Writing and or talking to a trusted person is a good place to start. You may consider seeking out a counselor if you struggle with this on your own. The use of guided imagery with this prism may be beneficial. Ask yourself what that prism represents, even going so far as to giving it a color, an identity of sorts. It's communicating something to you. Unresolved grief and loss may be underlying this. It may be well worth your time and energy to focus in more of the grief. It is so very painful, for sure, but it will not just simply go away. You need to honor your emotions, give yourself permission to "feel"- it's okay to cry- that is cleansing- healing. Water represents healing.

Please let me know if you have other comments or questions. Thank you for your post. Best wishes on your road to healing. You can and will get better- it's like putting a puzzle together sometimes, takes time, and process to work it out. A true healer with grief is sharing with someone, having support, and of course, time.

I look forward to hearing any other comments you may have.

Jean
Expert:  Jean replied 1 year ago.
A couple of on line resources:

griefshare.org You can see if there are support groups near you

grieving.com offers on line support

Expressing your emotions grief and other can be done through writing, talking, write a letter to loved one, scrapbooking.

The mind and body connection is powerful. One can experience other physical symptoms of grief such as fatigue, nausea, lower immunity, weight loss/gain, aches, pains, and insomnia.
Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience: Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)