Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Dissociation w/ PTSD -- More of a Problem?

Hi. I'm a vet and the VA my rating as 50% disabled. That said, I've found that I at time dissociate - and take on the character of another person. More specifically, I adopt the role of a woman having sex with another woman when I have sex (alone or with my wife). Do have a problem, or is this just the dissociative element of PTSD (like in the new DSM)? Am I just plain nuts?? thanks...

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear friend,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I believe that I can help you.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dissociation is a possible outcome of PTSD, including Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly called Multiple Personality Disorder).
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Establishing an "alter" is a way of building a firewall around memories. It may be easier for you, and more protective, to be a 'woman' having sex than to be a man because it is keeping you from reliving certain memories of events that are associated with your PTSD.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : PTSD and DID are both caused by trauma. They can be associated with one another. Having these experiences is a way of avoiding dealing with the reality of your original traumatizing stressors. It is a self-protection mechanism, but one that you need to deal with along with your other PTSD symptoms.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You are not nuts. You have been emotionally injured, like have a crushed leg. You can heal, but you must work on it and make small continuous changes.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Here is a very interesting and relevant article by Dr. Mark Dombeck.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=advice&id=1461&at=2&cn=109&ad_2=1
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : The best psychotherapy for your condition would be Dialectical Behavior Therapay (DBT). You can learn about this and start your own self-help with the following workbook:
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Overcoming Trauma and PTSD: A Workbook Integrating Skills from ACT, DBT, and CBT by Sheela Raja PhD and Susan M. Orsillo PhD
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Here is the link:
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Trauma-PTSD-Workbook-Integrating/dp/1608822869/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368830948&sr=8-1&keywords=DBT+and+PTSD
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You can be treated and can overcome this disorder with proper psychotherapy.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I shall keep you in my prayers.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Warm regards,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Elliott, MAE, LMFT, CCMHC, NCC