Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Why does a girl, who had a mother that physically and mentally

Why does a girl, who had a mother that physically and mentally abuse her, goes out with a man that will do the same to her? I have heard of a theory of the person will look a relationship like this because this is what she has known and raise with, which will somehow secure her, but are there other reasons?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear friend,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I believe that I can help.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : An abused child has not been able to form boundaries to protect herself and has not learned how to say say.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : In a similar situation later on in life, the same reaction occurs. The "child" within is afraid of being abandoned or rejected and feels safer to accept the abuse then to stand up and so no.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : They are afraid not only of being rejected or abandoned, but also fear being attacked, humiliated and ignored for example, so they put up with it. It is the "safe" thing to do.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : They do not forget these associations, and by their manner and personality they attract people who reflect these early experiences. They feel comfortable with the familiar even though these earlier experiences were dysfunctional and unhealthy.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : This kind of abuse is comforting in a certain sense because it is so much like the one early life that they knew that gave them a certain modicum of ease and security.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If I can further assist you on this question, please get back to me. Warm regards,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC