Welcome to Just answer !
I am sorry to learn about your boyfriend's condition and I empathize with you.
Well the very fact that your boyfriend has serious deficit in his sleep , this in itself is a sign implying that his diagnosis of bipolar disorder can very well be a valid diagnosis. Also it is but natural for the bipolar patients to lack insight / awareness about their own condition and therefore their usual response is that of denial as is see in the case of your boyfriend.
Now the important questions that need to be asked from his psychiatrist are--
1) What type of bipolar disorder, the psychiatrist believes your boyfriend is having -- is it Bipolar 1 or 2 ,this is important because the diagnosis dictates the treatment choices and has a variable outcome ?
2) Ask him for a drug to allay his anxiety which many times accompany his other bipolar symptoms ?
3) Olanzapine although effective anti psychotic drug to counter bipolar symptoms including lack of sleep but it is known to cause increased blood sugar levels which in your boyfriend's case who already has type 2 diabetes may actually worsen his diabetes? So you may ask for an alternative drug for olanzapine if his diabetes begin to go uncontrolled ?
4) Other than supporting him what other role shall you be playing as a partner in relieving his symptoms , this is important because stress of any kind including relationship discord acting as a stress can lead to precipitation or worsening of bipolar symptoms ?
5) Bipolar condition is genetically predisposed and carries a risk for transfer to the offspring , so if you are thinking of starting a family with your boyfriend in the future, then what are the chances that your kid/s may also get this illness ?So seek advice regarding this too ?
So I believe these are some very important and valid queries which you should ask his doctor so as to prepare yourself and him for managing this illness in the future and also to have a keen understanding about the untoward situations / scenarios which may develop as a result of this illness in the future.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will I be credited for my service.