Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

My boyfriend(35yrs old) of 5 months wants me to go with him

My boyfriend(35yrs old) of 5 months wants me to go with him to his psychiatrist on monday with him.. He was diagnosed with acute bipolar disease about 3 weeks ago. I have seen signs of severe depression and some hypomania within this time frame, he is also diabetic type 2.. They gave him lithium, depakote, and olazapine, but he was shaking to much and now only on the olazapine 15 mg at night. My question is what questions shoild I have prepared for his doctor when i go with him. He doesnt think he is bipolar n believes he just needs sleep .he does admit to having seasonal anxiety depression

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

I am sorry to learn about your boyfriend's condition and I empathize with you.

Well the very fact that your boyfriend has serious deficit in his sleep , this in itself is a sign implying that his diagnosis of bipolar disorder can very well be a valid diagnosis. Also it is but natural for the bipolar patients to lack insight / awareness about their own condition and therefore their usual response is that of denial as is see in the case of your boyfriend.

Now the important questions that need to be asked from his psychiatrist are--

1) What type of bipolar disorder, the psychiatrist believes your boyfriend is having -- is it Bipolar 1 or 2 ,this is important because the diagnosis dictates the treatment choices and has a variable outcome ?

2) Ask him for a drug to allay his anxiety which many times accompany his other bipolar symptoms ?

3) Olanzapine although effective anti psychotic drug to counter bipolar symptoms including lack of sleep but it is known to cause increased blood sugar levels which in your boyfriend's case who already has type 2 diabetes may actually worsen his diabetes? So you may ask for an alternative drug for olanzapine if his diabetes begin to go uncontrolled ?

4) Other than supporting him what other role shall you be playing as a partner in relieving his symptoms , this is important because stress of any kind including relationship discord acting as a stress can lead to precipitation or worsening of bipolar symptoms ?

5) Bipolar condition is genetically predisposed and carries a risk for transfer to the offspring , so if you are thinking of starting a family with your boyfriend in the future, then what are the chances that your kid/s may also get this illness ?So seek advice regarding this too ?

So I believe these are some very important and valid queries which you should ask his doctor so as to prepare yourself and him for managing this illness in the future and also to have a keen understanding about the untoward situations / scenarios which may develop as a result of this illness in the future.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will I be credited for my service.

Regards..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. His psychiatrist states bipolar 2. But all this medications are giving him tremors, and tonight he had back pain shooting into his rt leg, and was limping, so the doctor told him to take benedryl.. Is their any other drug he can try that wont raise his blood sugar and has the least amount of side effects so it wont afect the liver, thyroid, and kidneys.. only symptoms I have witnessed in him is paranoia, sleep deprivation, and short answers, he told me at 17 another psch. gave him resipridol and it was the only thing that helped him and it was his go to drug whenever he was very depressed. he told me he only had 3 episodes of deep depression in his life 17yrs old, 25 and now 35yrs old.. i dont know to convince him that this may be more than just depression and its very scary when you love someone and just want to see them better

Abilify ( aripiprazole ) at dose of 15-30 mg / day taken as a single dose at night shall be a formidable and safe drug to replace the current drug regime. Also by adding a lamictal ( lamotrigine ) at low to moderate dose of 50-100 mg / day to abilify , one can prevent both depressive and hypomanic symptoms without compromising any of his systems and bypassing the side effects including tremors.

As of now for his tremors a drug called as TRIHEXYLPHENIDYL ( artane ) at dose of 2 mg three times a day can be given until his tremors subside . Another alternative can be benzatropine.

So to summarize.

-- Abilify + Lamictal ( along with their doses ) shall be discussed with his psychiatrist for managing his bipolar 2 with leas t risk for side effects.

-- Artane or benzatropine shall be discussed with his psychiatrist for use to counter his tremors.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long before you can tell if the those drugs are taking effect?? N they will not raise his sugar?? Will he have to be on meds for the rest if his life? N how long before u get full benefits of the medication. Is the pain from his glutes shorting into his rt leg a side effect from the meds he was taking

Usually it takes 3-4 weeks for these drugs to bring about any significant improvement in symptoms ( at least 25 % improvement is expected ). If this does not happen then an increment in dose is advised and if that too does not relieve symptoms then drug regime is to be revised.

For full recovery at least 6- 8 months of treatment with drug regime needs to be given.

No he need not be on the drugs life long but as mentioned above the duration of treatment shall span over several months , so patience is duly required by the patient.

It is quite possible that the pain in his legs is a side effect , it shall subside once he takes the mentioned above drug meant for tremors.

I believe this answers all your questions..

Wish you all the best.

Regards..