Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

What is the typical age onset of schizophrenia in men? I learned

What is the typical age onset of schizophrenia in men? I learned in class that 18 was the average age. My teacher also told me that after age 21 your chances/risk of developing this disease tend to go down.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 35 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to help you with this.

Bill :

It is true the the average onset in males is approximately 18 vs females who have a later age on set- typically between age 21 and 25. The prevalence of this disorder is equal between the genders - meaning schizophrenia is equally common in numbers among men and women.

Bill :

It is important to note that persons can have later life diagnosis of schizophrenia-(although rare) diagnosis can occur as late as age 45 years of age.

Bill :

So - the average onset between men and women is approximately 20 years of age.

Bill :

The above graph provide a representation of presentation of symptoms diagnosis and treatment.

Bill :

So your teacher is correct the onset is earlier in males but the average age is 20.5 although symptoms can develop earlier and many men are diagnoses before the average.

Bill :

Further detail on this is linked below.

Bill :

Should you have additional questions of me- feel free to ask- I am happy to help.

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bil

Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Awesome. Very informative answer. Is she correct to say that risk goes down as you age?

Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Hi Anthony-

She IS correct to say that risk goes down with age.

In 35 years of practice, I have never seen anyone diagnosed later than their mid to late twenties although in some very rare cases there have been people diagnosed in their 30's and early 40's.

I trust this helps and wish you the best.

Kindest regards, Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience: 35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's