Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

What is the typical age onset of schizophrenia in men? I learned

What is the typical age onset of schizophrenia in men? I learned in class that 18 was the average age. My teacher also told me that after age 21 your chances/risk of developing this disease tend to go down.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 35 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to help you with this.

Bill :

It is true the the average onset in males is approximately 18 vs females who have a later age on set- typically between age 21 and 25. The prevalence of this disorder is equal between the genders - meaning schizophrenia is equally common in numbers among men and women.

Bill :

It is important to note that persons can have later life diagnosis of schizophrenia-(although rare) diagnosis can occur as late as age 45 years of age.

Bill :

So - the average onset between men and women is approximately 20 years of age.

Bill :

The above graph provide a representation of presentation of symptoms diagnosis and treatment.

Bill :

So your teacher is correct the onset is earlier in males but the average age is 20.5 although symptoms can develop earlier and many men are diagnoses before the average.

Bill :

Further detail on this is linked below.

Bill :

Should you have additional questions of me- feel free to ask- I am happy to help.

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bil

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Awesome. Very informative answer. Is she correct to say that risk goes down as you age?

Hi Anthony-

She IS correct to say that risk goes down with age.

In 35 years of practice, I have never seen anyone diagnosed later than their mid to late twenties although in some very rare cases there have been people diagnosed in their 30's and early 40's.

I trust this helps and wish you the best.

Kindest regards, Bill