TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

hi i have just come away from what i can only describe as my

hi i have just come away from what i can only describe as my worst 5 months. have felt very low indescribable feelings very very black thoughts not neccescerally suicidal just deep anguish. went to london on a jolly with my brother and friends for a great day out and ended feeling like i wanted to jump off the tube at every stop and runaway. It didn't make sense as i love my brother dearly but he could see i was suffering tried to play it down felt like it could have been anxiety attacks
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you might be depressed. You have some of the symptoms including low feelings, black thoughts and deep anguish. That describes either depression or grief.

Add to those symptoms the feelings you describe of wanting to jump off the tube which could be a way to express that you are very unhappy with your life as it is now.

You mentioned that you have had a hectic several years and that you have experienced relationship problems recently. That may explain why you are feeling as you do now. If you have gone through any loss, you may be experiencing feelings of grief and/or depression. People can grieve anything from the loss of someone to the loss of a home or job, even a pet. And sometimes you will find yourself stuck in the depression phase of grief, where it is possible to feel as you do now.

You can overcome these symptoms. One of the first steps to take is to seek therapy. A therapist can do an evaluation for you to determine exactly what your diagnosis might be. Once you know what is going on, it is much easier to treat it. Talking to a therapist can help. But you also can share with friends and family. There is healing in sharing your feelings and letting others know you are struggling.

Also, consider support groups, either on line or in person. People who are experiencing the same symptoms as you are can offer invaluable support, ideas and companionship to help you feel better. Also, working on your depression at home can supplement your therapy or other treatment. Here are resources to help you get started:

Once you are able to reach out, you will start to feel better. Let others support you and offer help. You do not have to do this alone.

I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Kate Thank you for your time. I appreciate that it is very difficult to give a diagnosis over the internet, but you confirmed what i was thinking. Unfortunately I can be very stubborn and feel I can hopefully heal my-self, not wise I know. I now know I can reach out and seek help when the darkness returns if it does. I have decide that rather than sit and feel sorry for my-self I will set my-self some small goals perhaps to get out and run and swim a little. have also provisonally booked some time off with the intentions of going to sunnier climes. Thank you for your help. Wish me luck

You're welcome!

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Small goals and perseverance each day is the best way to deal with how you feel. And your insight and understanding is fantastic. That is going to help you work through how you feel and on to recovery. And if I can help in any other way, please let me know.

Hang in there and take care,