Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I have been perscribed 100 mg of sertraline and 15 mgs of Buspirone

I have been perscribed 100 mg of sertraline and 15 mgs of Buspirone per am. Are they okay to take together? I have a lot of anxiety. Also I am to take 1mg ofAtivan when I have chest pain. I have been ruled out for heart attack.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Dr Vikas :

Yes, Buspirone is often prescribed with SSRI antidepressants like Sertraline to augment its action.

Dr Vikas :

It is specially useful for anxiety disorders.

Dr Vikas :

are you there?

Customer:

Yes I am

Dr Vikas :

Ativan can be used for controlling acute anxiety attacks.

Dr Vikas :

on as and when required basis.

Customer:

That's what my Doctor said, however I am afraid to take the Ativan as he perscribed it.

Dr Vikas :

I don't think there is any reason behind it. Ativan is also an effective antianxiety medicine and can be taken on as and when needed basis.

Dr Vikas :

its mechanism of action is totally different from Buspirone.

Customer:

Also, I have a LQTS that is .489, should I be concerned taking these meds ? My Dr doesn't sse concerned at all

Customer:

This syndrome seems to be inherited since all three of my sister's, mom and myself have this.

Dr Vikas :

see, your doctor will only prescribe you only those medicine which he or she think is appropriate for you after considering your medical and physical condition.

Dr Vikas :

so you need not to worry about it a bit. Worrying over such issues will only increase your anxiety.

Customer:

Yes, I trust my Dr. I am just one that is very interested in understanding the reason for "it all". He has also referred me to a Therapist. Funny, I have a Degree in Counseling, but I can't seem to help me or either I just can't be objective with me. Thank you for your responses.

Dr Vikas :

You are most welcome.

Customer:

Have a blessed day!

Dr Vikas :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics