Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor

I ended an 18 year marriage with a high functioning narcissist. We have 2 daughters both s

Customer Question

I ended an 18 year marriage with a high functioning narcissist. We have 2 daughters both still financially dependent on us for college expenses. Sine the divorce, he married the woman he was involved with prior to the divorce, and become a high profile politician. How do I deal with the unpredictable triggers of seeing him I the media ie newspaper, local tv news, local websites with current events and news updates. I see pictures of him and her, or just him doing press releases. I find it painful, and it takes me back to a place I don't want to be. it makes me angry, that he continues to fool the public and I look like the problem.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 3 years ago.

Heidi LPC :

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed psychotherapist. I hope to be of some assistance to you this evening. First, let me say that I am so sorry you have had to deal with such a complicated situation.

Heidi LPC :

I can completely understand the pain and anger that seeing him or having to hear about him triggers for you. It is like you said; he continues to have this power over you even in separation. I am thinking that the key to this is going to be changing your self-talk to positive, affirming messages that you can remind yourself of anytime you get triggered.

Heidi LPC :

What is true for you? Do you think that karma exists? The whole "what goes around comes around" idea? Accepting that there is nothing or no person who will ever change him or your past; however, that his turn will come eventually and when it does, it will be long overdue! Sometimes, this type of thinking can calm your anger somewhat.